ALL SOURCEGRAPH ROLES ARE FULLY REMOTE
Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. Our code intelligence platform helps developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. By enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our business is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced exponential growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven't even heard of code intelligence yet, but once you've used it, you can't live without it--just like Google). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Given that we are an all-remote company and hire almost anywhere in the world, we don’t have a location requirement for this role.
Why this job is exciting
The People Team is critical to the success of our company. As a People Partner, you will be hyper-focused on supporting the business and ensuring that all Teammates are set up for success, have great management, and love their job.
On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Form strong relationships with leadership in the engineering department, and your cross functional partners.
- Be a thought-sharing and coaching partner to our managers, guiding them on their strategies for retaining and leveraging the talent on their teams: how to make sure their onboarding and training initiatives are effective, how to structure the team and develop career frameworks, how to assess the level of impact of each person on the team and ensure they are compensated at the right level, how to ensure their people are creating balance, taking rest and applying agency over their work, how best to enforce a high performance team and address underperformance, up and to separations, and all the little bits of guidance in between.
- Develop equally strong and trusting relationships with teammates.
- Challenging managers on their thinking, and guiding them on difficult conversations when it’s appropriate to do so.
- Acting as an advocate and guardian of our culture and guiding teammates and managers to apply our values in their daily decisions.
- Assist with learning & development opportunities to ensure our teammates continue to grow and evolve.
- Lead calibration sessions related to performance reviews and assist with corresponding compensation increase recommendations.
- Collaborating with our cross-functional People team to develop, enhance and launch people-facing initiatives that meet the needs of our teams and help us retain and grow the best people.
- Identifying - and acting on - trends and opportunities that point to better ways of doing things as we scale
In addition to the above, we expect this person to be scrappy and help jump in and build processes to ensure the foundation of our department continues to evolve. You’ll be working closely with our bigger People team to help build out and enhance our hiring, onboarding, learning, impact management, compensation, wellbeing and innovation initiatives.
Our best people thrive in fast-paced, constantly-changing environments where anyone can raise ideas, take ownership of challenges, challenge leaders’ thinking and apply high agency to getting the best work done.
Within one month, you will…
- Complete the onboarding process and give us feedback on how we can make it even better.
- Build relationships with each member of the People & Talent Team and understand how the team supports the company and works together.
- Begin learning how to code (we want a company where everyone can code!) and make updates to the Handbook.
- Have regular 1:1s with the leaders you support, understand the state of their org, what is working / not working, and where they need support.
- Begin meetings with individual contributors in the department you support. We want our People Partners embedded in the org and have trusting relationships with all Teammates.
Within three months, you will...
- Have opinions! You will have identified areas that need improvement within our team and company, and we want to hear what needs to be fixed, and how you think we should fix them.
- Autonomously help managers with day-to-day guidance and coaching on their people strategies and initiatives, as well as providing effective coaching and HR support around challenging situations and people dynamics
- Understand the People Team’s projects as a whole and find a way to support - we are a small team and expect our People Partner’s to jump in on project work, too!
- Help us understand what we can do better and help develop a roadmap to make that happen.
- Use data and analytics to measure the effectiveness of people practices and make data-driven decisions
Within six months, you will...
- Be a trusted advisor to your teams, informing their people strategies and connecting this to team initiatives with ease and flow, helping the People team offer an exceptional service to the business.
- Be leading our in-house manager training and liaising with our L&D function to help ensure that our opportunities touch the right things.
- You are a seasoned HR People Partner with 6+ years’ experience in a people-partnering role within a fast-paced, high-change environment like Tech.
- You have opinions, you are super direct, and you thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment. You thrive in situations where you “build the plane while flying it.”
- You have in-depth knowledge of US employment law and know how to apply your expertise.
- You’re skilled at building trust with experienced and first-time managers, and you know how to help them make sense of the opportunities and challenges of management.
- You are available to help our US-based managers in their timezones, have a strong track record of interpreting and applying the appropriate sections of applicable US laws, guidelines, regulations, ordinances, and policies, to people situations as appropriate.
- Managers and teammates seek your day-to-day advice, and your strategic input and guidance on bigger initiatives relating to their people.
- You balance objectivity with empathy, and logic with creativity, to help us find the right solution for everyone involved.
- You aren’t afraid to challenge the status quo, can help others navigate ambiguity and always approach challenges mindful of the impact on our company culture, values and teammate morale.
- You are willing to help with day-to-day tasks as we scale and figure out what the future looks like. You communicate with warmth and influence, and are comfortable practicing HR in an asynchronous environment where meetings are used only if necessary and written documentation is default.
We are open to either IC4 and IC5 candidates for our Senior People Partner opening. You can read more about our job leveling philosophy in our Handbook.
We pay you an above-average salary because we want to hire the best people who are fully focused on helping Sourcegraph succeed, not worried about paying bills. You will have the flexibility to work and live anywhere in the world (unless specified otherwise in the job description), and we’ll never take your location or current/past salary information into account when determining your compensation. As an open and transparent company that values equitable and competitive compensation for everyone, our compensation ranges are visible to every single Sourcegraph Teammate. To determine your salary, we use a number of market and data-driven salary sources and target the high-end of the range, ensuring that we’re always paying above market regardless of where you live in the world.
The target compensation range for this role is $170,000 - 220,000 USD base (no bonus). In addition to our cash compensation, we offer equity (because when we succeed as a company, we want you to succeed, too) and generous perks & benefits.
Interview process [~5 hour total interview]
Below is the interview process you can expect for this role (you can read more about the types of interviews in our Handbook). It may look like a lot of steps, but rest assured that we move quickly and the steps are designed to help you get the information needed to determine if we’re the right fit for you… Interviewing is a two-way street, after all!
- [30m] Recruiter Screen with Kelsey Nagel, Recruiter
- [30m] Hiring Manager Screen with Head of People, Carly Jones
- [60m] Resume Deep Dive with Head of People, Carly Jones
- [30m] Cross-functional interview with Controller, Desene Sterling
- [30m] Cross-functional interview with Head of Engineering, Steve Yegge
- [60m] Working session with Head of People, Carly Jones and additional team members
- [30m] Values Interview with two teammates from other departments
- [30m] Leadership Interview with Quinn Slack, CEO
- We check references & make you an offer!
And that’s it! Please note - you are welcome to request additional conversations with anyone you would like to meet, but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.
Sourcegraph participates in E-Verify for U.S. Employees