Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. We help developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. In enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our company is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced 4x year-over-year revenue growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven't even heard of code search yet, but once you've used it, you can't live without it--just like Google web search). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Why this job is exciting
As a Director of Design, you will build and lead our exceptional high agency all-remote team to achieve ambitious objectives. You’ll be working closely with Directors from Product, Engineering, and Marketing to establish cross functional collaboration and coordination across the organization. Your contributions to the overall strategy and decision-making about the future of our product will be impactful. Your main responsibility will be supporting and facilitating the team of designer’s decision making process to ensure will inspire our team of designers as they make continual progress towards a cohesive, delightful design experience for a technical audience through iterative improvements. As you hire and grow our team of designers, you will get to play a key role in developing the Product Design org structure and shaping the design culture at Sourcegraph. Our generous compensation philosophy, and your ability to hire from anywhere, will give you the unique opportunity to continue attracting the best talent in the world.
Within one month:
- You will start building a trusting relationship with cross functional teams and peers.
- You will continue building out the Product Design including defining the necessary roles, and the complete recruiting and hiring process.
- You will understand the what, why, and how of the projects that your teams are working on, how those projects contribute to our company goals, as well as current status, risks, and mitigations.
- You will build a better understanding of our high agency value by reading Turn the Ship Around and sharing your thoughts about it with your manager and your team.
Within three months:
- You will have a trusting relationship with your direct team and are able to connect their work to their own career goals.
- Your peers in product, engineering, and marketing are enthusiastic to work with you because you reliably follow-through with your commitments.
- You will be able to communicate the 1-year vision for your team, and the sustainable execution and hiring plan to get there.
Within six months:
- You will have improved planning, communication, hiring, and onboarding processes to help the team scale as we grow.
- You will celebrate the fact that your org has delivered key results in support of their objectives for the year.
Within one year:
- You will have hired and retained exceptional people to make our team even more representative of the world’s population.
- You will collaborate with product and engineering leadership to develop the next set of ambitious goals that your org should work towards.
- You will develop a clear technical and execution strategy to achieve that next set of goals.
You are an experienced and visionary people-driven product design leader who has the skills to effectively drive progress toward our ambitious and technically challenging objectives. You are strongly aligned with our values, inspired by our mission to make it so that everyone can code, and motivated to do your best work at Sourcegraph.
- You have experience growing (through both hiring and career development) high quality and diverse teams.
- You have led a team of multiple product designers.
- You have owned the product design strategy for multiple complex products, across an organization.
- You have proven experience developing and communicating Design strategy decisions to senior leadership and cross-functional teams.
- You have experience collaborating with and designing for highly technical users.
- Your working hours overlap with 8am-4pm Pacific Time for at least 10 hours per week so we have time to collaborate synchronously when necessary.
- You have experience working on developer productivity tools as personal projects or as part of your job.
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that you can still be considered for a role if you meet just 50% of the role’s requirements. We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.