Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. We help developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. In enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our company is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced 4x year-over-year revenue growth and our recent $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven't even heard of code search yet, but once you've used it, you can't live without it--just like Google web search). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Why this job is exciting
At Sourcegraph, one of our core values is to be customer driven. This means we all proactively work on the right things by continuously orienting our goals around delivering value to our customers. As a Customer Marketing Manager, you’ll collaborate with our marketing, sales, customer engineering, and product teams to tell compelling customer stories and run customer programs, like our Customer Advisory Board, that create value for developers and Sourcegraph.
Within one month:
- Start building relationships with your teammates and our customers
- Audit our existing customer stories and assets and identify gaps
- Understand our products and be able to communicate their benefits
- Set your Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) with your Manager and develop an action plan to achieve them
- Get up to speed on our Customer Advisory Board, including getting to know our members and reviewing previous meeting
Within three months:
- Start leading and evolving Sourcegraph’s Customer Advisory Board program to cultivate relationships with our strategic customers
- Start creating and scaling an intentional customer advocate program, ensuring Sales has a powerful pipeline of reference customers, use cases, quantifiable proof points, and quotes
- Source and manage customer story production, ensuring coverage for our target use cases and personas
- Begin experimenting with new and engaging formats for telling customer stories
Within six months:
- Be the point of contact for all customer marketing initiatives and questions
- Ensure our customer reference tracker is up-to-date and growing
- Plan and execute an engaging Customer Advisory Board meeting
Within one year:
- You will be running our Customer Advisory Board and continuing to optimize it based on feedback from members of the board
- You will be continuously creating and shipping compelling customer stories
- You will have strong relationships with key internal stakeholders and our customer
You are an experienced customer marketer that is excited about building out Sourcegraph’s customer marketing programs. You’re ready to work with sales, customer engineering, and marketing to identify compelling customer stories and bring them to life in a variety of formats. And you have been a part of or even built out Customer Advisory Boards in the past. Above all, you are strongly aligned with our values, inspired by our mission to make it so that everyone can code, and motivated to do your best work at Sourcegraph.
- You have 3+ years of customer marketing/advocacy experience, with 6+ years of total experience
- You are organized with excellent project management skills; you love working cross-functionally to drive projects to completion
- You have experience creating and managing marketing programs that drive customer engagement and advocacy
- You have developed or supported a Customer Advisory Board program
- You have experience collaborating with brand design, content, and/or external agencies to create compelling customer stories
- You have empathy for developers, and the ability to effectively communicate and build trust with a technical audience
- You have excellent communication skills
Nice to haves
- You have product marketing or content marketing experience or experience in a customer-facing role
- You have experience building customer marketing programs from the ground up
Interview process [~5 hour total interview]
- You apply.
- [30 min] Recruiter screen
- [45 min] Hiring Manager screen
- In-depth Interview stage:
- [45 min] Cross-functional collaboration interview, Erica Lindberg, Director of Content Strategy
- [45 min] Cross-functional collaboration interview, Tommy Pesavento, Director of Brand
- [45 min] Collaborating with customers and customer engineering, Owen Brannan
- [45 min] Strategic alignment interview, Kacie Jenkins, VP of Marketing
- [30 min] Values interview
- [1 hr] Collaboration Session, Andy Schumeister, Director of Product Marketing
- Any other informal conversations with people who you would be working closely with but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
- We check references & make you an offer
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that you can still be considered for a role if you meet just 50% of the role’s requirements. We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.