Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. We help developers and companies with billions of lines of code to create the software you use every day. In enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunities across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our company is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced 4x year-over-year revenue growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven't even heard of code search yet, but once you've used it, you can't live without it--just like Google web search). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Why this job is exciting
We are looking for an experienced leader in data and analytics to build the team that will enable the rest of the business to make better decisions. Reporting to the VP of Operations, you will take over all data engineering, integrity, and management for our cloud product data, our on-premises product data, and our marketing and business data. You will also build and run our analytics and data science team, being responsive to needs from across the business and proactive in identifying opportunities for improvement.
Within one month, you will…
- Study and become an expert in Sourcegraph’s products, customers, business model, and our values
- Get to know the rest of the BizOps and Data teams, and meet your counterparts across the rest of the organization in Product, Engineering, Sales, Marketing, and more
- Shadow members of the team as they fulfill ad hoc data requests (e.g. “why did MAUs spike in June and fall back in July?”), run proactive analyses (e.g. “what user actions drive retention?”), and execute larger projects (e.g. a migration of ETL jobs from BigQuery to Dbt)
- Identify key team needs and work with the head of Operations to do team capacity and headcount planning.
Within three months, you will…
- Complete an audit of our existing product and marketing data pipelines, and work with the team to build a plan to address near-term pains and long-term architecture planning.
- Become comfortable with our end-user analytics tools (Looker, Amplitude) and begin to think through the model to support the rest of the company via end user training, increased self-service usage, and analytics team support prioritization
- Be interviewing candidates to fill key roles on the team.
Within six months, you will…
- Be a trusted advisor to leadership across the company on analytical matters
- Be tracking team key performance indicators, such as data pipeline SLAs, request response and resolution time, percentage of requests self-serviced, and more
- Have established a culture on the analytics team of being more proactive and less reactive
- Be in process of building a team, systems, and processes that can support the business as it grows by multiples in the coming years
- Hands-on experience in data engineering (building and managing large-scale data pipelines, data transformations/ETLs, data modeling for end users, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience in an analytics role and an understanding of data science; deep familiarity with SQL, and experience with Python, R, Julia, or another data science language
- A strategic point of view and a strong perspective on the principles of an effective data strategy
- Leadership experience in an analytical role at a growth-stage enterprise SaaS company
Nice to haves
- Experience with our existing stack: Google Cloud Platform (PubSub/DataFlow), Google BigQuery, Looker, Amplitude, Google Analytics
- You apply
- [30 min] Recruiter Screen
- [1 hour] Hiring Manager screen with our VP of Operations, Dan Adler
- Take home project
- [2.5 hours] Onsite Stage:
- [1 hour] Project Debrief Interview with Farhan Attamimi & Eric Brody-Moore
- [45 min] Cross-team Collaboration Interview
- [30 min] Values Interview
- Any other informal conversations with people who you would be working closely with but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
- We check references & offer you the job!
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that you can still be considered for a role if you meet just 50% of the role’s requirements. We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.