Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. We help developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. In enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our company is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced 4x year-over-year revenue growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz has given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven't even heard of code search yet, but once you've used it, you can't live without it--just like Google web search). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Our team and our sales are growing fast—we’ve proven strong product-market fit, with wall-to-wall usage, Net Promoter Scores above 60, and tens of thousands of paid daily active users inside companies whose products you use every day (Uber, Yelp, Dropbox, GE, Lyft, SoFi, Quantcast, and many more). We want to bring universal code search to every company and developer, so we're hiring Customer Engineers to work with our developer champions and users to help them use Sourcegraph more and better. You'll be an expert on how to use code search to improve the dev experience and increase dev velocity. You'll own the relationships with our developer champions and users inside prospective and existing customers (both pre- and post-sales), working to spread Sourcegraph usage and satisfaction. Success means getting entire dev teams at great companies to say they love code search so much they can't imagine living without it.
Sound like a match? We want to hear from you!
Why this job is exciting
As a Customer Engineer, you will have more responsibility, upside, and growth potential than anywhere else otherwise comparable. Our customers are the world's leading organizations, and our developer users are super engaged. No other role at any other company gives you insight into how so many world-class organizations and developers build software at scale, and no other role at any other company puts you right in the middle of it all like we do being both a pre- and post-sales organization. Learn more about our team in our handbook here.
Within one month, you will…
- Learn about our product, our value proposition, our customers, our team, and our processes.
- Join customer and prospect calls with some of our largest customers to understand their needs, how we communicate the value of Sourcegraph, and how we deliver positive impact to our customers’ business.
- Dive deep into our metrics (Looker), our CRM, and marketing suite to understand how we measure customer engagement and assess overall customer health.
- By day 30, gain ownership of a small set of prospect and customer relationships and lead your first call.
Within three months, you will…
- Continue to take ownership of more prospect and customer relationships, building a portfolio of anywhere from 5-15 accounts.
- Define and execute success plans to guide your customer engagement for each unique account.
- Host webinars, trainings, and demos for new and existing customers.
- Strategize, plan, and execute on renewals, user expansion, and upsells with your sales counterparts across your portfolio.
- Provide Product and Engineering teams with important insights and feedback on behalf of our customers.
- Participate in Customer Engineer-led projects which will mature our own capabilities, increase the breadth of our footprint both internally and externally, and positively impact our business and our customers. A project can range from things like creating new customized demo scripts or material that would help our customers to building custom extensions that may help a customer.
Within six months, you will…
- Gain unique insight into how many different companies operate their engineering teams, which will help you establish yourself and Sourcegraph as a trusted advisor to our customers on not only code search but also other software development topics.
- Establish yourself as a thought leader and evangelist for our customers by using your insights to teach customers new and better ways to get value from Sourcegraph.
- Define and lead Customer Engineer-led projects for both internal stakeholders and our customers.
You are an enthusiastic, driven, and results-oriented technologist who shares our values and has a passion for all things customer satisfaction.
- You understand and can empathize with problems faced by software engineers on large teams, and the ability to talk fluently with our developer champions and users (who are all developers themselves). You do not need to be a software engineer to be successful in this role!
- You have experience in a customer- and user-facing function, such as Sales Engineering, Solution Architecture, Customer Success, Developer Relations, or Technical Account Management
- You have the strategic mindset to be able to identify opportunities and potential solutions to solve both internal and external problems or gaps, and you can use your skills to apply the appropriate solution. You can and enjoy building tools, templates, and collateral.
- You have an organized approach to work, with demonstrated ability to proactively manage a set of accounts, to make difficult prioritization decisions, and to use data to guide decision-making.
- Ability to work core business hours for US Eastern Time (US East region).
- You apply.
- [30 min] Recruiter screen.
- [30 min] Hiring manager screen to chat with you about Sourcegraph to find out what you are looking for in your next role and assess company value alignment. US Director.
- Take Home Project followed by review and live 45 minute Q&A with a Customer Engineer.
- [30 mins] Team collaboration meeting to discuss sales partnership & collaboration with an Account Executive.
- [45 mins] Mock Customer meeting with two Customer Engineers
- [30 min] Participate in a values interview, where you talk with two teammates outside of the department for which you’re interviewing about our values and how your experiences and perspectives align with them.
- Any other informal conversations with people who you would be working closely with but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
- We check references and make you an offer!
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that you can still be considered for a role if you meet just 50% of the role’s requirements. We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.