Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. We help developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. In enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our company is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced 4x year-over-year revenue growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven't even heard of code search yet, but once you've used it, you can't live without it--just like Google web search). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Why this job is exciting
As a Customer Engineering Manager, you will lead our exceptional high agency all-remote team Customer Engineering team. Our Customer Engineers drive the technical portion of a sale as well as ensure existing customers continue to get maximum value out of their Sourcegraph engagement. This is the team that thrives on showing off the value from the nooks and crannies of our product, lives for giving our customers “aha” moments, and is the main point of contact our customers trust to help them achieve their goals.
As a Customer Engineer Manager, you will report directly to the Director of Customer Engineering, Americas and you will be responsible for multiple key initiatives that directly drive our company-wide goals and enable us to become the standard tool for searching over and understanding code in the open-source universe:
- Build the foundation to be proactive, not reactive, about customer success
- Make Sourcegraph valuable and accessible to every company
- Solve Big Code problems for the largest enterprises
In the first 30 days you will…
- Go through a two week-long training on our product, our value propositions, our customers, our team, and our processes.
- Meet our existing Customer Engineers and begin the process of forging a long standing partnership with each of them.
- Dive deep into our existing customer experience - processes, tools, and templates.
- Meet other internal organization leads and begin establishing working relationships.
In the first 60 days you will…
- Take over direct front-line management of our existing team of Customer Engineers, which includes:
- Doing a regular reviews of each of their accounts
- Making technical or strategic suggestions to unblock any issues experienced
- Providing top-level support for business needs
- Refining actions taken at various engagement points
- Regularly providing feedback to the team to encourage personal and career development, and
- Staying in lock-step with the Sales team to ensure consistent alignment along all customer touch points.
- Based on your observations thus far, make recommendations to leadership for improvement or the stand up of new processes, tools, templates, etc.
In the first 90 days (and beyond) you will…
- Begin implementing approved changes.
- Take ownership across initiatives.
- Develop and grow the Customer Engineering team by cultivating a first class team, culture, process, and results. Results can be seen in Sourcegraph growth (revenue and adoption) and customer happiness.
You are an experienced and visionary people-driven leader who has the skills to effectively drive progress toward our organization’s ambitious and technically challenging objectives. You are strongly aligned with our values, inspired by our mission to make it so that everyone can code, and motivated to do your best work at Sourcegraph.
If you are passionate about the customer experience and building metrics and systems to optimize for customer happiness and value, then this role might be a perfect mutual match.
- An excitement for our mission to make it so that everyone can code.
- Direct experience having managed a client facing team (eg, Solutions Engineering, Solutions Architecture, Technical Account Management), ideally that works with a technical product and buyer.
- Enthusiasm to help form the foundation of a new team and new strategy from scratch, and you enjoy working on challenging open-ended problems.
- Ability to work core business hours for US Pacific Time (US West region) or US Eastern Time (US East region).
- You apply.
- [30 min] Recruiter screen.
- [45 min] Hiring manager screen with the VP of CE to chat with you about Sourcegraph to find out what you are looking for in your next role and your abilities as a leader.
- [30 min] Cross Functional Leader interview
- [45 min] Customer Engineer interview
- [30 min] Participate in a values interview, where you talk with two teammates outside of the department for which you’re interviewing about our values and how your experiences and perspectives align with them.
- [45 min] Working session with CE Leadership
- Any other informal conversations with people who you would be working closely with but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
- We check references and make you an offer!
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that you can still be considered for a role if you meet just 50% of the role’s requirements. We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.