Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. We help developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. In enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our company is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced 4x year-over-year revenue growth with zero customer churn, and our $50M Series C from Sequoia has given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven't even heard of code search yet, but once you've used it, you can't live without it--just like Google web search). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Why this job is exciting
As our first dedicated Copywriter, Brand, you will help define, evolve, and elevate the voice of Sourcegraph across all our primary channels — including our website, email, social media, advertising, and brand campaigns, along with development of other internal and external messaging. The role will require someone adept at articulating highly-technical messages in ways that are clear, impactful, and inspiring for developer communities, while also crafting a unique style and informal tone that resonates with our audience and draws people to our brand.
As part of our high-agency, all-remote marketing team, you will play an integral role in amplifying our story and mission, and will help translate complex subject matter defining our value and benefits into powerful messages across multiple channels. You will be given many opportunities to lead and own multiple brand marketing projects that shape our brand’s personality, tone, and expression. If you thrive in a hypergrowth, evolving organization, and enjoy working with a wide range of internal partners across teams all over the world, this is the opportunity you’ve been waiting for. Our generous compensation philosophy, and your ability to work from anywhere, will give you the unique opportunity to do the best work of your career and truly make an impact on the future of how technology is shaping the future.
Within one month, you will:
- Start building a strong relationship with your manager and peers.
- Understand the what, why, and how of the projects that our team is working on, how those projects contribute to our company goals, as well as current status, risks, and mitigations.
- Build a solid understanding of our products and the benefits they provide to our users.
- Know our audience and their needs, wants, and expectations.
- Set up a clear process for fielding, reviewing, and executing on copy needs from internal teams.
Within three months, you will:
- Establish a clear, distinct creative tone and direction for the brand voice.
- Collaborate with design partners to create compelling content for our About site, including message-testing and A/B testing copy for our home page and landing pages.
- Recognize, define, and write in various voices toward our different audiences, including developer-facing, manager level and executive/enterprise buyers
- Work with the Content Strategy team to develop writing guides, voice and tone guidelines, and achieve uniform direction around stylization of copy.
- Lead copy strategy for brand awareness, activation, demand gen and launch campaigns.
Within six months, you will:
- Improve planning, communication, workflow, and archival processes to help the Brand team scale as we grow.
- Support the Marketing team in articulation of proposals, presentations, and pitches that require creative treatment and superb communication.
- Work in partnership with the Social Media Manager to create, implement, and optimize the publishing process for short-form social content.
- Work closely with Product Marketing and Demand Gen on go-to-market campaigns, integrated campaigns, and paid advertising programs.
- Refined and solidified our brand voice and tone and be able to use data to validate effectiveness of messaging choices.
Within one year, you will:
- Brief and support oversight of contracted marketing copywriters, as necessary.
- Champion Sourcegraph’s brand voice and tone best practices across the organization as we grow, including developing copy guides and cheat sheets.
- Created a library of marketing copy across social media, our website, emails, video scripts, talking points, collateral for recruiting, and occasionally materials for press.
- Be seen as the go-to source for marketing and short-form copy across the org.
Example: you are an experienced and driven copywriter who has worked within marketing teams (agency or in-house) writing words that lead to action. You understand the developer audience and can translate technical features into compelling copy for advertising and marketing. You are comfortable working independently/remotely, have strong time management and organization skills, respect deadlines, and are not afraid to voice your opinion on what it takes to make a piece of creative really great. You are strongly aligned with our values, inspired by our mission to make it so that everyone can code, and motivated to do your best work at Sourcegraph.
- Portfolio of work from a creative agency, in-house team, or both, that showcases clear, concise, and compelling copy that drives action and engagement.
- 7+ years writing copy for various channels, on behalf of recognized brands, organizations and/or individuals.
- A firm and demonstrable understanding of copy styles for different mediums and platforms.
- A strong point of view on how to effectively adapt messages across various channels.
- Extremely strong relationship building and communication skills; able to rapidly build working relationships with core and cross-functional teams.
- Experience juggling and prioritizing multiple simultaneous projects of varying scope and timeline.
- Experience creating request and publishing processes, including setting timelines, review processes, and asset management for a large and growing library of copy.
- Superb attention to detail – you detest typos and can spot them from a mile away within seconds.
- Sense of humor preferred, but not required. (Ok, it’s required!).
- Your working hours overlap with 8am-4pm PT for at least 15 hours per week so we have time to collaborate synchronously when necessary.
Nice to haves:
- Experience writing for and to the global developer community or highly-technical audiences.
- Experience presenting creative concepts to leadership teams and peer agile groups.
- Experience with analytics, reporting, or metrics-measuring software a plus – we always want to know if what we’re doing is working.
Interview process [~5 hours total]
- You apply.
- [30 min] Recruiter screen.
- [30 min] Hiring Manager screen with Tommy Pesavento, Brand Director.
- “Onsite stage”
- [1 hr] Resume deep dive with Tommy Pesavento, Brand Director and a member of the Talent Team.
- [45 min] Interview with Erica Lindberg, Director of Content Strategy.
- [45 min] Portfolio project review presentation with Marketing team panel (lookup: STAR format).
- [1 hr] Peer interview with Senior Brand Strategist & Jenny Bergen, Content Marketing Manager.
- [30 min] Final interview with Kacie Jenkins, VP, Marketing.
- We check your references and make you an offer!
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.