Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. We help developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. In enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our company is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced 4x year-over-year revenue growth with zero customer churn, and our $50M Series C from Sequoia has given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven't even heard of code search yet, but once you've used it, you can't live without it--just like Google web search). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Why this job is exciting
As the engineering manager for our DevOps (we call it distribution) team, you will lead our exceptional high agency all-remote team to achieve ambitious objectives to make Sourcegraph easy to deploy, scale, monitor, and debug for both us and customers. You will be solving challenges in user environments as well as Sourcegraph.com, the largest Sourcegraph instance in the world.
Within one month:
- You will deliver smart, streamlined solutions to our customers solving common on-premise configurations and debugging challenges.
- You will work directly with our support teams to help customers troubleshot, debug, tune, and configure Sourcegraph deployments.
- You will work with other engineering teams to enable new initiatives through infrastructure as well as enhance our systems for performance and scalability.
- You will start building a trusting relationship with your direct reports and peers.
- You will understand the what, why, and how of the projects that your teams are working on, how those projects contribute to our company goals, as well as current status, risks, and mitigations.
- You will build a better understanding of our high agency value by reading Turn the Ship Around and sharing your thoughts about it with your manager and your team.
Within three months:
- You will simplify and enhance developer experience and tooling shortening the feedback loop.
- You will implement long term observability (and other DevOps pillars) enabling proactive management of our infrastructure.
- You will have a trusting relationship with your direct team and are able to connect their work to their own career goals
- You are able to coach and mentor your direct team to establish career goals and growth plans.
- Your peers in product and engineering are enthusiastic to work with you because you reliably follow-through with your commitments.
- You will be able to communicate the 1-year vision for your teams, and the sustainable execution and hiring plan to get there.
Within six months:
- You will have improved planning, communication, hiring, and onboarding processes to help the team scale as we grow.
- You will celebrate the fact that your org has delivered key results in support of their objectives for the year.
- Sourcegraph Cloud is performant, scalable, and observable
- Sourcegraph customers have seamless and robust deployment/upgrade methods for on-premise hosting
- Sourcegraph developer experience is expedient and predictable with top class continuous deployment, continuous integration, and continuous development tooling
Within one year:
- You will have hired and retained exceptional people to make our team even more representative of the world’s population.
- You will collaborate with product and engineering leadership to develop the next set of ambitious goals that your team should work towards.
- You will develop a clear technical and execution strategy to achieve that next set of goals.
You are an experienced and visionary people-driven engineering leader who has the skills to effectively drive progress toward our Distribution/DevOps team’s ambitious and technically challenging objectives. You are a team builder ready to tackle complex problems and build high functioning teams working with cutting-edge technology. You are strongly aligned with our values, inspired by our mission to make it so that everyone can code, and motivated to do your best work at Sourcegraph.
- You have 2+ years leading an engineering team of 3 or more engineers.
- You have multiple experiences building and implementing DevOps practices and tools designed to increase an organization's ability to deliver applications and services faster.
- You have extensive experience in our core technologies: Kubernetes, Docker, container orchestration
- Your working hours overlap with 8am-4pm CST for at least 10 hours per week so we have time to collaborate synchronously when necessary.
- Experience with GCP
- Experience with Go and React
- Worked directly with customers helping them troubleshoot deployment and various other environmental issues
- [30m] Intro call with a Recruiter
- [45m] Hiring Manager interview with Bill Creager, Director of Engineering
- [Assignment] With an all-remote worldwide team, good async written communication is essential. Pretend today is your first day at Sourcegraph. Write a 1-2 page Google Doc that communicates to engineering leadership and your team how you would tackle solving the following problem: Sourcegraph customers have a choice of 3 different deployments: on-premise, managed instances, cloud (soon available for private code). All our deployments are fully containerized utilizing common orchestration tooling (docker run, docker-compose, kubernetes). How would you set your team up for success maintaining all of these permutations in a robust and scalable way? When complete, set appropriate sharing permissions to allow comments, and email the link to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
- [60m] Leadership interview with Bill Creager and Engineering Manager
- [60m] Technical experience interview with Distribution team members
- [60m] Team collaboration interview with Product and Design
- [30m] Final interview with Nick Snyder, VP of Engineering
- We check references & make you an offer!
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.