Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. We help developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. In enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our company is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced 4x year-over-year revenue growth with zero customer churn, and our $50M Series C from Sequoia has given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven't even heard of code search yet, but once you've used it, you can't live without it--just like Google web search). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Why this job is exciting
To achieve our mission, we're looking for a Social Media Manager to help grow our values-driven, all-remote team. Reporting to the Director of Brand, you'll build Sourcegraph’s social media marketing strategy from the ground up. You will be a key member of our pioneering and fast-growing marketing team. In addition to working with amazing colleagues who exemplify our ‘work as a team’ core value, you will also have the opportunity to develop Sourcegraph’s social voice, experiment with innovative social strategies, and create impactful social content that facilitates meaningful interactions with our developer community. We strive to make Sourcegraph the best company where exceptionally talented people can thrive. If you join us, we know you’ll make a big impact! Here’s what we’re thinking:
Within one month, you will…
- Implement our social platform (Sprout Social) and take over publishing
- Set your OKRs (Objectives and Key Results) with your Manager and develop an action plan to achieve them
- Meet with your marketing colleagues and begin to understand their upcoming content and programs
- Determine success metrics and KPIs and benchmark current performance
- Become proficient in understanding and communicating our product and its benefits
- Begin building the social strategy and calendar
Within three months, you will…
- Manage the all incoming social promotion requests
- Document our social media strategy and engagement guidelines
- Have a strong understanding of our audience and brand narrative
- Partner with the Community team to implement a process for responding to and engaging with our audience on social channels
- Plan your first social media program to support our first integrated marketing campaign
- Report on engagement, follower growth, and traffic
Within six months, you will…
- Have introduced and successfully socialized our social media request and engagement processes
- Grow Sourcegraph’s following and engagement on our social channels
- Increase traffic to our website from Twitter and LinkedIn
- Explore additional social media channel opportunities
Within one year, you will…
- Be the go-to expert for social media engagement, promotion, and programs
- Successfully executed the social media strategy
- Train and develop new team members
- Develop a playbook and guidelines for scaling our social presence
As the Social Media Manager at Sourcegraph, you will be tasked with nurturing the brand voice and driving awareness and engagement across all marketing initiatives on owned social media, including growing our online community, increasing audience engagement, crafting consumable content for daily sharing, generating and running contests and promotions, providing readouts on activity and success metrics, and driving experiential and awareness marketing campaigns.
You will be the brand steward across our social presence, and will own crafting and publishing of communications to ensure our brand voice is reaching the right audience in the right way at the right times. You will manage all our owned channels including (but not limited to): Instagram, Twitter, Twitch, Discord, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
You will also help develop and implement social-first programs, cross-functional campaigns, and day-to-day content crafted to increase awareness and interest in Sourcegraph, as well as drive deeper engagement with our audience. You will partner closely with internal teams from Content Strategy, Product Marketing, Customer Marketing, Community, and more, and report to the Brand Director. If you’re driven by a passion for the way social media can help scale a brand’s reach, but just as equally by the way it affords 1-to-1 interactions with people on a personal level, then this job is for you!
You have demonstrated social media marketing skills including building a calendar, content creation, social listening, and reporting on channel performance. As an expert in social media, you are always up to date on social trends and provide recommendations on social executions for marketing campaigns. As the lead social media manager, you will design and implement our social media strategy and tactics to amplify the Sourcegraph brand.
- 5+ years of social media management experience; experience in software/gaming/tech industries preferred
- Demonstrated ability to manage and grow corporate social media profiles for large, recognized organizations or public figures
- Demonstrated ability to report on social performance and expertise with social media management tools; Sprout Social preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and ethically in a fast-paced tech environment and respond quickly to changing priorities
- Solid analytical, organizational, problem-solving skills, and a growth mindset
- Experience creating breakthrough conversations about our brand and solutions - instigating discussions about developer tools, workflows, needs and wants
- Engaging interpersonal skills: a dynamic and enthusiastic individual who connects well with others
- Unafraid to take risks (within reason) with posting and ability to communicate in a friendly, witty, clever tone
Nice to haves:
- A bachelor’s degree in a Humanities, Journalism or Communications-related field
- Experience engaging with developer communities
- Management experience
- A passion for open source software
- You apply.
- [30 min] Recruiter screen.
- [1 hr] Interview with Tommy Pesavento, Brand Director (hiring manager).
- [45 min] Interview with Erica Lindberg, Director of Content Strategy.
- We schedule a portfolio presentation with you (lookup: STAR format)
- [45 min] Portfolio project review presentation with Marketing team panel.
- [1 hr] Peer interview with Rebecca Dodd, Managing Editor & Jenny Bergen, Content Marketing Manager.
- [30 min] Interview with Samson Goddy, Director of Community.
- [30 min] Kacie Jenkins, VP, Marketing.
- We check references and make you an offer!
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.