Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. We help developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. In enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our company is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced 4x year-over-year revenue growth with zero customer churn, and our $50M Series C from Sequoia has given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven’t even heard of code search yet, but once you’ve used it, you can’t live without it--just like Google web search). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Why this job is exciting
To achieve our mission, we’re looking for a Developer Education Full Stack Engineer to help grow our values-driven, all-remote team. Reporting to the Director of Developer Education, you’ll develop and maintain Sourcegraph’s open source learning platform, and support demo apps and educational extensions to support the developer community. You’ll be a key stakeholder conceptualizing and building out a platform that will help make developers’ growth as lifelong learners easier, and directly move forward Sourcegraph’s mission to make coding accessible for everyone. We strive to make Sourcegraph the best company where exceptionally talented people can thrive. If you join us, we know you’ll make a big impact! Here’s what we’re thinking:
In the near-term, you’ll extend on the team’s static Sourcegraph Learn platform, working closely with a small technical team. In the long-term, you will work closely to inform the overall strategy of the Developer Education team through the platform architecture and supporting the development of apps and extensions. You’ll additionally work closely with the Brand and Community teams to support a streamlined developer experience for Sourcegraph.
Within one month, you will…
- Learn about the team and goals and collect requirements from stakeholders
- Gain an understanding of the educational needs of the developer community
- Develop a strategy for the learning platform and make technical recommendations
- Present plans to the team for feedback and iteration
- Collaborate across the organization to inform data decisions
Within three months, you will…
- Lead the development of our learning platform from a static site to a dynamic app
- Test and document code
- Collaborate across teams to inform development strategy
- Communicate plans and roadmap effectively with stakeholders
- Ensure that appropriate analytics and tracking methods are in place to validate and inform the team’s strategy
Within six months, you will…
- Support the scaling of the learning platform
- Develop features to extend the learning platform
- Have in place a maintenance and documentation strategy for the learning platform
- Work closely with the Brand and Community teams to support a streamlined developer experience for Sourcegraph
Within one year, you will…
- Inform the overall strategy of the Developer Education team
- Continue to validate and maintain the platform and its architecture
- Support the development of demo apps, sample code, and educational extensions
- Support team members and the growth of the team
You are a developer who is invested in supporting developers, and would like to be a leader in the space. Building a robust and open source developer learning platform in service to the community is aligned with your mission and goals, as is informing the strategy of a team committed to educating developers. You are committed not only to other professional developers, but also to new developers, student developers, and the next generation of technologists. You would feel comfortable working with a small and growing team of technical colleagues to solve developers’ problems.
- Proven experience building and deploying applications at scale (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Interest in or experience in the education sector
Nice to haves:
- Experience building online learning platforms for technical learning
- Experience working closely with marketing teams
- Understanding of user-centered design principles
- You apply.
- [30 min] Recruiter screen.
- [30 min] HM intro call with Lisa Tagliaferri, Director of Developer Education.
- [45 min] developer experience interview with Marek Zaluski, Developer Education Engineer.
- [45 min] open source community interview with Samson Goddy, Director of Community.
- [45 min] brand and web interview with Tommy Pesavento, Director of Brand.
- [30 min] follow up with Lisa Tagliaferri.
- Any other informal conversations with people who you would be working closely with but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
- We check references & offer you the job!
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.