Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. We help developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. In enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our company is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced 4x year-over-year revenue growth with zero customer churn, and our $50M Series C from Sequoia has given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven't even heard of code search yet, but once you've used it, you can't live without it--just like Google web search). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
We are seeking a seasoned Brand Strategist to help us drive the awareness, perception and engagement of the Sourcegraph brand forward as we work to make coding accessible to everyone. You have strong opinions on what a brand is, and what it isn’t (so much more than just a logo), as well as what it takes to build a brand from scratch, grow it to global recognition with high standards of quality, and maintain its relevance and stature into the future.
Sound like a match? We want to hear from you!
Why this job is exciting
Built as a multidisciplinary in-house agency, the Sourcegraph Brand Team exists to elevate, activate and communicate the value of Sourcegraph to the world. We make this possible by serving as a strategic creative partner to XFN stakeholders, offering full-service creative support with a rapid, flexible, iterative process that stems from a deep understanding of our products, our processes, and our people.
The Brand team serves as a strategic partner to cross-functional teams and stakeholders, offering full-service creative support, market insights and brand strategy with a rapid, flexible, iterative process that stems from a deep understanding of our audience and the challenges they face, as well as our products and the solutions they provide.
Within one month, you will…
- Study and become an expert in Sourcegraph’s suite of products and solutions, our story, our brand and our values
- Lead the development and evolution of our brand architecture as we continue to add new products, features, programs and services
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure cohesion and consistency of brand touchpoints across the entire customer lifecycle (Demand Gen, Sales, Customer Support, Community, etc.)
- Contribute to the ongoing exploration and evolution of the Sourcegraph brand, what it stands for, and how we represent it
- Share brand strategies and plans, program results, insights, and relevant category trends with the Marketing team and broader company
Within three months, you will…
- Work closely with Product Marketing to drive consistent naming and positioning strategies that elevate the Sourcegraph brand and create a scalable brand ecosystem
- Develop insights from data and trends that push our brand forward in both awareness and perception
- Drive the relationship between brand performance and business performance and help draw connections between the two for our organization
- Identify success metrics related to brand awareness and create dashboards and reporting to track, monitor, and improve performance
- Own the creation and evolution of Customer Lifecycle Map, from initial awareness and activation opportunities to adoption and advocacy stages
- Assist in defining and designing the Sourcegraph brand persona, including personality traits that contribute to our style guide and voice and tone
- Develop actionable programs, toolkits, and guidelines to help internal teams and external partners effectively and consistently activate the brand strategy
- Lead strategies for implementing and collecting user research, customer insights and market research to inform brand evolution and expansion
- Conceptualize and execute on brand marketing campaigns to improve performance
- Perform regular reports and analyses on competitive landscape, including same-stack product offerings for similar audience verticals
- Ensure the development and execution of marketing communications is on-brand and in support of Sourcegraph’s business goals
Within six months, you will…
- Take ownership of and optimize our stack of brand monitoring tools and software (i.e. Brand24, Brandwatch, BuzzSumo, BrandMentions, Peak Metrics, Google Alerts, etc.)
- Provide education, training, and mentoring as-needed to internal teammates on brand monitoring, brand consistency and brand positioning attributes
You love analyzing data and scouring for insights as much as leading qualitative interview workshops, and have no fear of presenting your findings and your strategy at executive or company-wide meetings. Most of all, you understand the power of a strong brand and the direct lines it draws between customer loyalty, advocacy, growth, and business success. If you are passionate about brand strategy and want to help us reach and connect with the global audience of developers (27 million and counting), then this may be the role you’ve been looking for.
- 7+ years experience working as a brand strategist, marketing strategist, or brand planner in a B2B/B2C corporate environment, or agency environment working directly with high-growth technology clients
- Experience in brand communications, brand strategy, business intelligence, user insights and research, and media planning
- Extraordinary presentation and communication skills with experience presenting to leadership, exec teams, boards, and external partners
- Experience researching, data modeling, synthesizing data-driven insights, and applying findings to lead cross-functional teams towards strategic, actionable plans
- Experience working with creative teams across multiple disciplines (designers, animators, illustrators, writers, filmmakers, developers, etc.)
- Experience collaborating with and leading productive cross-functional teams towards a shared goal
- Brand strategy experience in the developer or software engineering product space
- Experience building and managing brands in the enterprise software space
- You’ve worked on large-scale, award-winning creative projects that propelled brands forward
- Entrepreneurial spirit and drive to succeed in fast-paced, adaptive environments
- You apply.
- [30 min] Recruiter screen.
- [45 min] HM intro call with Tommy Pesavento, Director of Brand Design.
- [45 min] Video interview 1 with Andy Schumeister, Director of Product Marketing
- [45 min] Video interview 2 with Julie Campagna, Senior Customer Advocacy Manager
- [1 hr] Portfolio presentation with Tommy, Andy, Julie, Erica Lindberg, and Sarah Reece.
- [30 min] Follow-up with Tommy Pesavento.
- [30 min] Kacie Jenkins, VP, Marketing
- We make you an offer.
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.