Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. We help developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. In enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our company is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced 4x year-over-year revenue growth with zero customer churn, and our $50M Series C from Sequoia has given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven't even heard of code search yet, but once you've used it, you can't live without it--just like Google web search). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
To achieve our mission, we're looking for a Frontend Engineer to help grow our values-driven, all-remote team. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, you'll be a key member of our Extensibility Team. With the team’s increasing responsibilities, now is a great time to join us on our mission to bring the value of Sourcegraph to everywhere you work with code and bring the value of other developer tools into Sourcegraph. As part of our core team, you’ll have the opportunity to work on a wide array of web technologies ranging from browser and IDE extensions to Sourcegraph’s own extensions system.
Sound like a match? We want to hear from you!
Why this job is exciting
As a Frontend Engineer, you will have more responsibility, upside, and growth potential than anywhere else otherwise comparable. We strive to make Sourcegraph the best company where exceptionally talented people can thrive. If you join us, we know you’ll make a significant impact! Here’s what we’re thinking:
Within one month, you will…
- Meet with peers and other members around the company to gain a sense of the team and the organization.
- Familiarize yourself with the product and with the areas of focus the Extensibility team has within it.
- Join our weekly peer programming sessions and start tackling your first set of issues by committing changes and performing code reviews with the team.
Within three months, you will…
- Build rapport with the team and become a robust asynchronous communicator.
- Gain a more profound understanding of the needs of the product and become comfortable with diagnosing issues.
- Deliver on your first initiative and measure the impact by tracking and looking at the data.
Within six months, you will…
- Be seen as a subject matter expert in an area that interests you.
- Make a significant impact by being a key contributor and help us improve our existing engineering practices.
- Participate in the interview process for other frontend engineer candidates.
The Extensibility Team’s mission is to bring the value of Sourcegraph to everywhere you work with code and to bring the value of other developer tools into Sourcegraph. We frequently do experiments and operate like a growth-focused startup within Sourcegraph. We also celebrate the wins together and help each other through uncharted territory.
You have a passion for digging into new tools, frameworks, and platforms. A history of thriving in environments where experimentation and failure are celebrated. A high level of comfort dealing with ambiguity and the ability to focus on the most impactful tasks. A deep passion for the web ecosystem. An excellent communicator.
- At least 2+ years includes working with TypeScript (or another typed language) to build and test high-quality code.
- Experience using React or another modern web framework
- Experience designing and implementing APIs
- You have demonstrated the ability to work effectively and ethically in a busy tech environment and respond quickly to changing priorities.
- You have solid analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills and a growth mindset.
Nice to haves:
- Previous experience developing extensions for browsers, IDEs, or other platforms.
- Familiarity with reactive programming (RxJS, Bacon.js).
- Skilled at writing clean, reusable CSS and semantic HTML to implement visual designs in collaboration with product designers.
- You apply.
- [30 min] Recruiter screen.
- [45 min] HM intro call with Jean du Plessis
- [Up to 2 hrs] Take-home coding project: We ask you to solve a general software problem using TypeScript. There's no specific framework/library knowledge required. The solution will be blackbox tested but we will also review the code.
- [2 hrs] Technical interviews:
- [1 hr] You will meet with Murat Sutunc and TJ Kandala who will give you feedback from our review and ask any follow-up questions
- [15m] Break
- [45 min] Murat and TJ will ask you a software architecture question to collect signals of solving real large-scale problems.
- [1 hr] Team collaboration interview with Joel Kwartler and Alicja Suska.
- [30 min] Beyang Liu (CTO).
We want to ensure that Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions you have about us at any point in the interview process.
You can find our fully documented interview process here: https://about.sourcegraph.com/handbook/engineering/hiring/frontend-engineer-extensibility
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.