Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code
. Software has driven a lot of technological innovation, and yet today, only a small fraction of the world can contribute to this progress by writing code. We believe that enabling more people to code will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive better and faster technological progress that benefits everyone.
The problem developers face today is that the amount, complexity, and value of code is increasing quickly, and it is hard to keep up. We call this problem Big Code
Sourcegraph helps developers at our customers
and in open source, find code, understand code, and automate changes to that code at scale in massive codebases.
Why this opportunity is awesome
As a Director of Engineering, you will report directly to the VP of Engineering and you will be responsible for multiple key initiatives that directly drive our company wide goals this year:
1. Scale our code search to millions of repositories
2. Build the semantic graph of code
3. Enable developers to automate batch changes in massive codebases
These initiatives will not only help us further grow our enterprise business, but they will also enable us to become the standard tool for searching over and understanding code in the open-source universe.
It’s an exciting time to join because our business is growing rapidly (4x revenue growth last year with zero customer churn) and our $50m Series C from Sequoia
has given us the opportunity to make these big ambitious bets while being fiscally responsible.
What we're looking for
1. You have domain knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas: search, indexing, information retrieval, relevance.
2. You have led a medium/large engineering organization (~18 people or more) of multiple teams (you had multiple engineering managers reporting to you).
3. You have experience growing (through both hiring and career development) high quality and diverse teams.
4. Your working hours overlap with 8am-4pm PT
for at least 10 hours per week so we have time to collaborate synchronously when necessary.
If you think you might be a great fit for this role, but you are not confident that you meet all these qualifications, please apply anyway! We would be happy to review your application.
1. [45m] Intro call with Nick Snyder, VP Engineering
2. [45m] Intro call with Beyang Liu, CTO
3. [90m] Working session
with Nick Snyder and another engineering manager or director at Sourcegraph.
4. [Async] With an all-remote worldwide team, good async written communication is essential. Pretend today is your first day at Sourcegraph. Write a 1-2 page Google Doc that communicates to the VP of Eng and your team (1) what outcomes you expect to achieve in your first 30/60/90 days and (2) the work process you will follow to achieve those outcomes. Configure the sharing settings on the document so that anyone with the link can comment, and then email the link to email@example.com
. We’ll ask any questions we have by directly commenting on the document.
5. [60m] Technical experience interview
6. [60m] Team collaboration interview
7. [30m] CEO interview
8. Any other informal conversations with people who you would be working closely with but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
We provide competitive compensation and practical benefits to keep you happy and healthy so that you can do your best work.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.