Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. We help developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. In enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our company is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced 4x year-over-year revenue growth with zero customer churn, and our $50M Series C from Sequoia has given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven't even heard of code search yet, but once you've used it, you can't live without it--just like Google web search). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Our team and our sales are growing fast—we’ve proven strong product-market fit, with wall-to-wall usage, Net Promoter Scores above 60, and tens of thousands of paid daily active users inside companies whose products you use every day (Uber, Yelp, Dropbox, GE, Lyft, SoFi, Quantcast, and many more). We want to bring universal code search to every company and developer, so we're hiring Customer Engineers to work with our developer champions and users to help them use Sourcegraph more and better. You'll be an expert on how to use code search to improve the dev experience and increase dev velocity. You'll own the relationships with our developer champions and users inside prospective and existing customers (both pre- and post-sales), working to spread Sourcegraph usage and satisfaction. Success means getting entire dev teams at great companies to say they love code search so much they can't imagine living without it.
Sound like a match? We want to hear from you!
Why this job is exciting
As a Customer Engineer, you will have more responsibility, upside, and growth potential than anywhere else otherwise comparable. Our customers are the world's leading organizations, and our users are super engaged. No other role at any other company gives you insight into how so many world-class organizations and developers build software at scale.
Within one month, you will…
- Learn about our product, our value propositions, our customers, our team, and our processes.
- Join many customer and prospect calls to understand our customers’ needs and how we communicate the value of Sourcegraph.
- Dive deep into our metrics (BigQuery, Looker, Google Analytics) and our CRM and marketing suite (HubSpot) to understand how we measure customer engagement.
- By day 30, gain ownership of prospect and customer relationships and lead your first call.
Within three months, you will…
- Continue to take ownership of more prospect and customer relationships, building a portfolio of around 20 accounts.
- Plan and execute on renewals, user expansion, and upsells with your sales counterparts.
Within six months, you will…
- Gain unique insight into how many different companies operate their engineering teams, which will help you establish yourself and Sourcegraph as a trusted advisor to our customers on not only code search but also other software development topics.
You are an enthusiastic, driven, and results-oriented Customer Engineer who shares our values and has a passion for all things customer satisfaction.
- Understanding of the problems faced by software engineers on large teams, and the ability to talk fluently with our developer champions and users (who are all developers themselves). You do not need to be a software engineer to be successful in this role.
- Experience in a customer- and user-facing function, such as Sales Engineering, Solutions Architects, Success, Developer Relations, etc.
- An organized approach to work, with demonstrated ability to proactively manage a large pipeline of projects/clients, to make difficult prioritization decisions, and to use data to guide decision-making.
- Enthusiasm for helping form the foundation of a new team and new strategy from scratch, and working on challenging open-ended problems.
- Ability to work core business hours for US Pacific Time (US West region) or US Eastern Time (US East region).
- You apply.
- [30 min] Recruiter screen.
- [60 min] Intro call to chat with you about Sourcegraph to find out what you are looking for in your next role and assess company value alignment. Directors (West, East, International)
- [60 mins] Working session (live product demo) and Q&A with a customer engineer on the team.
- [30 mins] Meeting to discuss sales partnership & collaboration with an Account Executive.
- [45 mins] Mock customer meeting with members of our team
- Any other informal conversations with people who you would be working closely with but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
- We check references and make you an offer!
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.