- Solid understanding of how to use Docker and Kubernetes to deploy non-trivial applications to cloud platform providers (e.g., GCP, AWS).
- Skilled at debugging distributed systems followed by designing and implementing solutions to those problems.
- Ability to communicate clearly and empathetically, especially in writing and documentation.
- Experience creating high quality software balanced with a pragmatic understanding of how to make appropriate tradeoffs (e.g., cut scope) to ship quickly and iterate when necessary.
- Comfortable using Terraform (or similar infrastructure-as-code) to build tooling and automation for deployments, CI, and internal dev tools.
Nice to haves
- Proficiency in Go.
- Published blog posts and/or tech talks about your work.
- Experience working on small high-performing teams, preferably tech startups.
- You apply here.
- We set up a 45-minute call with the Hiring Manager to learn more about what you are looking for, tell you about Sourcegraph, and answer any questions that you have. We will ask you about your past work experience and accomplishment, as well as asses your alignment with Sourcegraph values.
- Asynchronous coding exercise: We evaluate relevant technical skills that you have via an asynchronous coding exercise.
- We schedule 3 hours of remote interviews over video chat across multiple days:
- Technical experience: We ask you about your past work and accomplishments.
- Architecture: We give you an open problem statement and you walk us through how you would solve the problem.
- Team collaboration: We ask you about how you work and communicate in a team setting, and how you handle tricky situations.
- 30 minutes with VP Engineering
- We check your references.
- We make you a job offer.
- You can find the interview details listed below.
Asynchronous coding exercise
- Duration: Max 3h
- We will give you an overview of the exercise in advance.
- We will send you the details at a time of your choosing and you will have up to 3 hours to work on each of the two exercises.
- You will be able to use your own development environment and lookup documentation on the internet.
Technical experience interview
- Duration: 1h
- We ask you about your past work and accomplishments in depth, how you worked with others, decisions you made, and what you’d do differently today.
- You will interview with a Distribution teammate and one of the following colleagues: Stephen Gutekanst / Tomás Senart
- Duration: 1h
- We give you an open problem statement and you walk us through how you would solve the problem.
- You will interview with a Distribution teammate and one of the following colleagues: Stephen Gutekanst
Team collaboration interview
- Duration: 1h
- We ask you about how you work and communicate in a team setting, and how you handle tricky situations.
- You will interview with two colleagues from the following list: Rob Rhyne / Jonah Dueck / Josh Saunders / Nick McMillen / Christine Lovett
VP Engineering interview
- Duration: 30m
Meet the CTO
- Duration: 15m
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.