Why you should join us:
At Sound Agriculture, we believe our food system can nourish consumers while benefiting farming communities and the planet. Through a deeper understanding of plant and microbial biology, we are leveraging the natural power of plants to make agriculture more agile and resilient. Our work focuses on developing nutrient efficiency products and modernizing plant breeding to improve the way we farm and the food we eat.
Sound is a Series D startup funded by leading investors in food and agriculture including Leaps by Bayer, Syngenta Group Ventures, S2G Ventures, BMO Impact Investment Fund, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, Fall Line Capital, Cavallo Ventures, FootPrint Coalition and Northpond Ventures.
What you'll do:
We are hiring an Agronomist to partner with our sales teams in achieving maximum sales growth through product efficacy trials, and high-level customer engagement. The Agronomist consults directly with growers for the SOURCE product line (our flagship nutrient use efficiency product). This individual will develop and implement agronomy activities to impact retention and maintain long-term retail and grower relationships.
The Agronomist role is based remotely within the assigned territory covering Southern Indiana and Ohio, this requires 30% +/- travel. The role reports to the Agronomy Manager.
$77,000 to $84,000 base salary
$20,000-$25,000 commission target
Commission targets are uncapped and measured 50% on individual contribution and 50% by the territory achievement to goal.
Sound reserves the ability to adjust the compensation range based on the final candidate’s experience, skillset, and geography. In addition to on target earnings, we offer above average equity grants for the industry as we believe that every employee should have a stake in the company’s growth. If you’re above this compensation target, we encourage you to reach out and discuss the entire package and opportunity before deciding not to pursue this position.
- Provide support and knowledge of Sound products to sales team, growers and retailers
- Implement regional agronomic engagement plans to support Sound Go to Market plans
- Help with agronomy support during planting and harvest seasons to ensure optimal placement of SOURCE to maximize yield and minimize fertilizer waste
- Maintain and develop close grower and retailer relationships with key customers by providing professional agronomic service
- Coordinate technical and marketing activities, such as field days, grower meetings, demonstrations trials and partner trials sites
- Maintain industry awareness regarding technical developments via networking, personal development and training
- Ensure grower retention, satisfaction and increased use of our Source product on their acres by advising on use, in-season observations, and end-of-year evaluation
- Responsible for engaging with agronomic groups that are associated with universities, state/regional, seed, fertilizer companies and others
- Implement trial programs with growers/retailers to ensure product efficacy and report on results
Targeted Skills & Experience
- Demonstrated success in agronomic consultation, agronomy retail support, or field sales (ideally with growers and dealers)
- Passion for agriculture and understanding of the ag inputs market
- Knowledge of digital tools (Climate FieldView, SMS, JD Ops, etc.) and passion for using them to increase frequency of and quality of engagement with customers
- Comfort working with and selling to agriculture retailers and leading row crop growers
- Experience selling and supporting new product lines that create a new market, vs. established categories that are mostly stealing market share
- Strong working knowledge of Google Suite, Salesforce and/or other CRM systems
- Experience in customer support increasing customer satisfaction, adoption, and retention
This role demonstrates our core values by:
- Boldness: Proactively seeks out opportunities to promote and represent the SOURCE product line. Develops trials and field observations to drive product adoption within the region.
- Ownership: Self starter motivated to achieve quarterly goals. Serves as the product expert and trusted source for agronomic information in the region.
- Tenacity: Go the extra mile. Seek out innovative partners to conduct trial work and deliver insightful outcomes to the sales team.
- Creativity: Continue to challenge the market with new ideas on how to implement and measure the success of the Source product. Leverage technology to validate product efficacy and demonstrate to potential customers.
What we offer:
- Opportunity to work in a disruptive startup with a talented, experienced, and growing team of dedicated individuals
- Competitive total rewards package, including equity
- Performance bonus structure or uncapped commission plan for sales positions
- Comprehensive health care plans that include Medical, Dental and Vision coverage
- Flex Spending Account (Healthcare, Dependent Care & Commuter Benefit)
- 401(k) with company match
- Generous flexible paid time off
- Paid parental leave
- Mental health and wellbeing benefits
- In-person and virtual events and engagement activities (we actually like hanging out with each other!) (e.g. First Fridays, Meditation, Potlucks, Cultural Events, Running and Climbing groups, Photo Contests, weekly Team lunch, etc.)
Sound Agriculture does not accept unsolicited resumes from individual recruiters or third party recruiting agencies responding to job postings. We will not respond to unsolicited requests to submit candidates.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status.
Sound participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the United States. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, Sound is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before Sound takes any action, including terminating your employment.