Why you should join us:
At Sound Agriculture, we believe our food system can nourish consumers while benefiting farming communities and the planet. Through a deeper understanding of plant and microbial biology, we are leveraging the natural power of plants to make agriculture more agile and resilient. Our work focuses on developing nutrient efficiency products and modernizing plant breeding to improve the way we farm and the food we eat.
Sound is a Series D startup funded by leading investors in food and agriculture including Leaps by Bayer, Syngenta Group Ventures, S2G Ventures, BMO Impact Investment Fund, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, Fall Line Capital, Cavallo Ventures, FootPrint Coalition and Northpond Ventures.
What you'll do:
Sales Account Executive
We are hiring an Account Executive to achieve maximum sales growth and demand generation with large, progressive growers. This role will be part salesperson and part account manager, working collaboratively with our Regional Sales Managers (RSMs), Sales Agronomists (SA), dealers and strategic partners to close business with growers in the North Eastern United States.
The Account Executive partners with the Sr. Manager, Inside Sales and Regional Sales Manager to drive high-growth sales within the assigned region.
This position reports to the Sr. Manager, Inside Sales, and can be based remotely across the United States or in our Emeryville, CA headquarters. Expectation of approximately 20% travel, including trade shows, sales team meetings, and customer meetings.
$69,000 to $75,000 base salary
$20,000 to $25,000 commission target
Commission targets are uncapped and measured by sales against quota. Commission earnings are paid three times annually.
Sound reserves the ability to adjust the compensation range based on the final candidate’s experience, skillset, and geography. In addition to on target earnings, we offer above average equity grants for the industry as we believe that every employee should have a stake in the company’s growth. If you’re above this compensation target, we encourage you to reach out and discuss the entire package and opportunity before deciding not to pursue this position.
- 60% outbound prospecting including calls, emails, texts and social media messages to generate interest in SOURCE products
- Drive a value-based sales process, differentiate SOURCE from other agricultural products
- Ownership in the entire sales process
- 40% account management activities
- Work to maintain customer satisfaction, completing expected touch points throughout the year
- Renew minimum of 75-80% of customers in territory with 150% growth
- Utilize CRM (Salesforce and Outreach), social media and other digital tools to build awareness and interest in our SOURCE product line
- Execute demand generation process, including use of software like Salesforce, Outreach and related tools to have an appropriate activity cadence through phone, email and text
- Utilizes call recording functionality to improve individualized and team training and development, pinpoint communication opportunities that lead to positive or negative customer sentiment, improve departmental understanding of customers, increase understanding of complete sales cycle
- Accountability to maintain accuracy in a rolling pipeline reviewed bi-weekly with manager
- Achieve sales targets in collaboration with Regional Sales Managers and Sales Agronomists, helping to close strategic grower accounts with SOURCE products.
- Maintain open channels of communication and collaboration with the regions via regular updates and quarterly strategy meetings both remote and in-person
- Participates/engages in ongoing sales skills and personal development training once a month
- Understands seasonality of sales in agriculture in assigned region
- High level of prioritization and execution by attainment of individual, team and cross-functional OKRs
- Own trade show execution in assigned territory: generating leads and securing sales at events/trade shows
Targeted Skills & Experience
- Tenacity in digital outbound sales calling; excitement for hunting new sales opportunities and growing new business
- Demonstrated success as an direct sales professional including achievement of sales goals across multiple products and industries
- Strong passion and enthusiasm for sustainable agriculture
- Experience identifying customer needs and crafting a personalized value-proposition
- Ability to sell based on value and ROI, including business financials and price/volume relationships
- Ability to build strong relationships in person, over the phone, and by video conferencing
- Experience selling new product lines that create a new market, vs. established categories that are mostly stealing market share
- Strong working knowledge of Google Suite, Salesforce and Outreach
This role demonstrates our core values by:
- Boldness: Actively analyzes market opportunities and pursues all qualified leads; pushes beyond sales goals and targets to achieve big results for our customers and colleagues. Takes initiative to seek out and attempt new sales tactics for lead generation and closing deals.
- Ownership: Is willing to do whatever it takes to meet and exceed sales targets. Takes charge of their assigned territory and overcome regional challenges to meet sales targets. Collaborates with different internal teams to successfully close deals.
- Tenacity: Not easily discouraged by rejection, does not make excuses, is solutions oriented, willing to accept a challenge and do what it takes to overcome, personal drive to move forward, starts and finishes strong.
- Creativity: Uses a blend of new tactics and trusted tools to generate leads, pursue growers, and close deals.
What we offer:
- Opportunity to work in a disruptive startup with a talented, experienced, and growing team of dedicated individuals
- Competitive total rewards package, including equity
- Performance bonus structure or uncapped commission plan for sales positions
- Comprehensive health care plans that include Medical, Dental and Vision coverage
- Flex Spending Account (Healthcare, Dependent Care & Commuter Benefit)
- 401(k) with company match
- Generous flexible paid time off
- Paid parental leave
- Mental health and wellbeing benefits
- In-person and virtual events and engagement activities (we actually like hanging out with each other!) (e.g. First Fridays, Meditation, Potlucks, Cultural Events, Running and Climbing groups, Photo Contests, weekly Team lunch, etc.)
Sound Agriculture does not accept unsolicited resumes from individual recruiters or third party recruiting agencies responding to job postings. We will not respond to unsolicited requests to submit candidates.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status.
Sound participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the United States. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, Sound is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before Sound takes any action, including terminating your employment.