Why you should join us:

At Sound Agriculture, we believe our food system can nourish consumers, farming communities, and the planet. Through a deeper understanding of plant and microbial biology, we are leveraging the natural power of plants to make agriculture more agile and resilient. Our work focuses on developing nutrient efficiency products and modernizing plant breeding to improve the way we farm and the food we eat. Sound is a Series C startup funded by leading investors in food and agriculture such as Leaps by Bayer, Northpond Ventures, S2G Ventures, Fall Line Capital, Cultivian Sandbox Ventures, Cavallo Ventures and Syngenta Group Ventures.

What you'll do:

This role leads the development and execution of regulatory efforts for Sound Agriculture’s chemistry business and will, over time, engage with the on-demand breeding and consumer businesses.

The Sr. Regulatory Affairs Manager is a results-oriented professional with a passion for science and sustainability to formulate our regulatory plans and lead the execution of those plans in the United States and key geographies around the globe. This role works across multiple functions at Sound Agriculture and manages a network of consulting relationships to secure and maintain our license to operate, thereby enabling growth in key markets. With scientific expertise, comfort engaging with regulatory authorities, and ability to plan and manage projects, this position plays  a key role in the success of our business. The Sr. Regulatory Affairs Manager is a highly influential individual contributor responsible for managing numerous consulting relationships.  

This role reports to VP Product and may be based remotely across the United States. 

Responsibilities

• Define regulatory path and related processes for novel products in the United States and key global markets
  • Prepare dossiers and documentation necessary for regulatory authorizations
  • Develop and maintain key relationships with federal and state regulatory agencies and officials
  • Lead routine regulatory engagement efforts and strategies necessary to secure timely regulatory approvals
  • Build, execute, track, and report progress on federal and state regulatory plans
  • Identify necessary scientific studies and data to support regulatory efforts
  • Contract with and manage consultants to execute required studies and regulatory processes
  • Oversee preparation and submission of necessary state registrations and renewals
  • Monitor and track regulatory policies and developments aligned with Sound Ag’s technologies
  • Provide regulatory support to on-demand breeding and consumer businesses as needed

Targeted Skills & Experience

• Knowledge of federal and state regulatory processes for novel agricultural inputs
  • Demonstrated success registering regulated chemical and/or traits at the federal and state level
  • Demonstrated success identifying studies and other data required to complete a regulatory dossier
  • Experience with/interest in working in different regulatory frameworks (e.g., TSCA, FIFRA, ECHA, etc.)
  • Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems
  • Thrives on cross-functional collaboration and leadership
  • Excellent project management, collaboration, and communication skills
  • Comfort with ambiguity and the ability to work through challenging situations
  • Passion for mission-based work, especially in sustainability in food and agriculture

This role demonstrates our core values by: 

• Boldness: Utilizes all relevant methods to accelerate regulatory success including traditional engagement with regulators, engaging additional stakeholders, and championing the sustainability benefits of our products
  • Ownership: Serves as the company expert about the status, plans, and progress of our regulatory efforts
  • Respect: Engages colleagues and outside partners whose expertise is essential to registering our products and encourages their productivity and collaboration through excellent project management
  • Creativity: Identifies the best regulatory path to accomplish our business goals, even when multiple paths are possible, due to the innovative nature of our products

What we offer:

• Opportunity to work in an early-stage, disruptive startup with a talented, experienced, and growing team of dedicated individuals
  • Competitive compensation package
  • Performance bonus structure
  • Comprehensive health care plans that include Medical, Dental and Vision coverage
  • Flex Spending Account (Healthcare, Dependent Care & Commuter Benefit)
  • 401k Plan
  • Flexible paid time off
  • Regular team events and engagement activities (we actually like hanging out with each other!)

Sound is based in Emeryville, CA with a number of employees working remotely. We have a mission driven culture and a fast-paced, collaborative work environment. We are looking for someone to join the team who will bring a passion for sustainability along with a deep expertise in the business of food and agriculture.

Equal Employment Opportunity

We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status.

Sound participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the United States. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, Sound is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before Sound takes any action, including terminating your employment.

Apply for this Job

* Required
resume chosen  
(File types: pdf, doc, docx, txt, rtf)
cover_letter chosen  
(File types: pdf, doc, docx, txt, rtf)

Demographic Questionnaire

Sound Agriculture is committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive organization. We analyze the data provided in the answers to the questions below to identify areas of improvement in our hiring process. Your responses are not associated with your specific application and are not used in the hiring decision. Data is accessed in aggregate only (not linked to any individual).

We recognize that individuals may identify with one or more of the options for each of the questions below, and that our individual identities are more nuanced and unique than survey options represent. As you complete this survey, we request you select the option that you feel best represents you.

I identify my ethnicity as: (Select one) *

I identify my gender as: (Select one) *

I identify as transgender: (Select one) *

I identify my sexual orientation as: (Select one) *

I have a physical disability: (Select one) *

I am neurodivergent (a neurocognitive variation like ADHD, autism, anxiety, etc): (Select one) *

Veteran status: (Select one) *