Sound Agriculture is an innovator in bio-inspired chemistry and plant genetics. We leverage natural plant diversity to grow crops more sustainably and create differentiated, nutritious food. Sound is a Series C startup funded by leading investors in food and agriculture such as Leaps by Bayer, Northpond Ventures, S2G Ventures, Fall Line Capital, Cultivian Sandbox Ventures, Cavallo Ventures and Syngenta Group Ventures.
We are hiring a Director, Field Sales to manage and grow an existing team of Regional Sales Managers selling our flagship nutrient efficiency product line, SOURCE. The Director, Field Sales is a critical addition to the company’s commercial leadership team owning all revenue targets from in their assigned regions. This role works closely with Inside Sales, Agronomy, and Customer Experience to drive revenue and retention for the company.
This role assumes immediate leadership of an existing team of six, with expectations to double the team by the end of 2022. The Director, Field Sales reports to the Vice President, Sales and is based remotely in the Midwest.
- Meet or exceed your team’s sales goals for Sound’s nutrient efficiency business - today two products under the SOURCE brand family in the US, but growing as we launch additional products across crops and geographies
- Help lead sales training and enablement for the Sales team, leveraging the Marketing and People teams
- Ensure dealer retention, growth and increased use of SOURCE on the farm
- Build best-in-class lead generation practices to identify dealer prospects to join our growing Dealer network
- Manage employee performance by clearly communicating expectations and coaching individuals on gaps in skills and abilities required for success
- Assist commercial leadership in setting the vision, direction, and focus for SOURCE’s route-to-market strategy
- Evaluate sales team members’ performance and holds individuals accountable for meeting established performance expectations
- Collaborate with Marketing to create memorable and creative content and launch digital and field campaigns to drive awareness for SOURCE across leading corn and soybean growing regions in the US
- Build and manage relationships with key customers and dealers to promote products and services in alignment with marketing and sales strategies
- Understand customer needs and provides feedback to the commercial team on marketing effectiveness, as well as suggested improvements to our sales strategy
- Gather market conditions, trends, and competitive activity and communicate insights to the team
- Develop and report on key sales performance indicators through Salesforce, Tableau and other analytics tools, in as automated a fashion as possible
Skills & Experience
- Demonstrated success achieving sales and revenue targets, ideally in the agriculture industry, including the management and development of employees and teams
- Established contacts and ample experience within agriculture reseller networks, especially seed and crop protection sellers, agronomic consultants and ag retail
- Knowledge or training in a specialized, technical, or professional discipline such as Agronomy, Plant Science, Marketing, Agri-business, Business Administration, or related field
- Demonstrated knowledge of sales methodology, tools, and techniques
- Experience introducing and selling product lines that create a new market, vs. established categories
- Experience with a sales operations function with digital tools and data-driven decisions at its core
- Strong working knowledge of Google Workspace, Salesforce, Slack, Zoom, or similar tools
- Comfort working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment; Sound is a high-growth, VC-backed startup looking for folks who are driven by a sustainable mission and want to create the future of agriculture!
This role demonstrates our core values by:
- Boldness: Challenging their team to deliver results above and beyond the expected goals
- Ownership: Taking accountability for the individual and collective sales performance of the team
- Creativity: Experimenting with different sales tactics and management techniques to motivate the team in order to cultivate the highest level of performance possible
- Respect: Recognizing that the customer journey is a team effort that requires cross-functional collaboration and accountability beyond just the sales team
- Opportunity to work in an early-stage, disruptive startup with a talented, experienced, and growing team of dedicated individuals
- Competitive compensation package
- Performance bonus structure
- Comprehensive health care plans that include Medical, Dental and Vision coverage
- Flex Spending Account (Healthcare, Dependent Care & Commuter Benefit)
- 401k Plan
- Generous vacation policy
- Regular team events and engagement activities (we actually like hanging out with each other!)
Sound is based in Emeryville, CA with a number of employees working remotely. We have a mission driven culture and a fast-paced, collaborative work environment. We are looking for someone to join the team who will bring a passion for sustainability along with a deep expertise in the business of food and agriculture.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status.
Sound participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the United States. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, Sound is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before Sound takes any action, including terminating your employment.