Sound Agriculture is an innovator in bio-inspired chemistry and plant genetics. We leverage natural plant diversity to grow crops more sustainably and create differentiated, nutritious food. Sound is a Series C startup funded by leading investors in food and agriculture such as Leaps by Bayer, Northpond Ventures, S2G Ventures, Fall Line Capital, Cultivian Sandbox Ventures, Cavallo Ventures and Syngenta Group Ventures.
We are hiring an Agronomic Data Engineer to create tools, infrastructure, and digital workflows to enable our growers and scientists to learn from field data – ranging from microplot phenotypes to soil chemistry to yield monitor datastreams. As part of the Data Science team, the Agronomic Data Engineer will work closely with scientists, agronomists, and Product Development to reveal and direct the impact of new agtech with powerful information technologies. This is an exciting opportunity to enable economic and environmental change.
The Agronomic Data Engineer will join the organization as a hands-on developer, partnering with the Data Team to create and deploy the field data engineering plan. The Agronomic Data Engineer reports to the Director, Data Science. This role is a hybrid onsite position based in our Emeryville, CA headquarters. (Well-qualified candidates may be eligible to work remotely.)
- Collaborate across the Field and Research teams to create clean data architecture and enable effective inquiry, model building, and visualization
- Design, develop, enhance, maintain, and manage data infrastructure including cloud compute services, knowledge discovery platforms, and advanced agronomic data providers
- Champion our in-house DevOps practice, including tools, workflows, infrastructure, and lifecycle management
- Rapidly prototype data capabilities for grateful agronomy and research teams to maximize economic and environmental benefits for growers
- Productionize and publish valuable data science workflows
- Work to reduce work, by systematically improving the quality and maintainability of Sound’s field data and data processes
- Construct dashboards and facilitate front end data visualization as needed
Targeted Skills & Experience
- Demonstrated DevOps success, both as a direct contributor and project lead
- Fluency with the data needs of agriculture, including machine data, GIS, sources of signal and noise from fields
- Expertise with statistics and visualization packages, GIS tools, and data service providers
- Experience with data lake and warehouse principles, tools, and techniques
- Expertise with the programmatic use of cloud services to create data environments which operate according to F.A.I.R. principles
- Deep fluency with python and at least one other scripting language
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work with experts at varying levels
The successful Data Engineer embodies our core values of
- Boldness, by rapidly learning, evaluating, and adopting best-in-class tools, methods, and practice in devop and data stewardship
- Ownership, by working closely with teams in Sound Agronomy, Research, and Product Development to deliver meaningful data-driven scientific outcomes
- Respect, by serving as an excellent collaborator across Sound to understand business needs, risks, and opportunities to help us work together better
- Creativity, by exploring technical and process innovations broadly, even outside our sector, to find and implement the best solutions
- Opportunity to work in an early-stage, disruptive startup with a talented, experienced, and growing team of dedicated individuals
- Competitive compensation package
- Performance bonus structure
- Comprehensive health care plans that include Medical, Dental and Vision coverage
- Flex Spending Account (Healthcare, Dependent Care & Commuter Benefit)
- 401k Plan
- Generous vacation policy
- Regular team events and engagement activities (we actually like hanging out with each other!)
Sound is based in Emeryville, CA with a number of employees working remotely. We have a mission driven culture and a fast-paced, collaborative work environment. We are looking for someone to join the team who will bring a passion for sustainability along with a deep expertise in the business of food and agriculture.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status.
Sound participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the United States. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, Sound is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before Sound takes any action, including terminating your employment.