Sound Agriculture is an innovator in bio-inspired chemistry and plant genetics. We leverage natural plant diversity to grow crops more sustainably and create differentiated, nutritious food. Sound is a Series C startup funded by leading investors in food and agriculture such as Leaps by Bayer, Northpond Ventures, S2G Ventures, Fall Line Capital, Cultivian Sandbox Ventures, Cavallo Ventures and Syngenta Group Ventures.
We are hiring a Senior Sales Agronomist to achieve maximum sales growth through new sales enablement, and high-level customer engagement. This individual will develop and implement agronomy activities to impact retention and maintain long-term retail and grower relationships. The role reports to the Sales Agronomy Manager.
The Senior Sales Agronomist serves our MidSouth region (KY, TN, AR, LA, MS, AL) with 40% +/-travel across the region and we are location flexible within that region.
- Provide support and knowledge of Sound products to Sound sales team, growers and retailers
- Implement regional agronomic engagement plans to support Sound Go to Market plans
- Help with agronomy support during planting and harvest seasons to ensure optimal placement of SOURCE to maximize yield and minimize fertilizer waste
- Maintain and develop close grower and retailer relationships with key customers by providing professional agronomic service
- Coordinate technical and marketing activities, such as field days, grower meetings, demonstrations trials and partner trials sites
- Maintain industry awareness regarding technical developments via networking, personal development and training
- Ensure grower retention, satisfaction and increased use of our Source product on their acres by advising on use, in-season observations, and end-of-year evaluation
- Responsible for engaging with agronomic groups that are associated with universities, state/regional, seed, fertilizer companies and others
- Assist field development team in implementing trial programs with growers/retailers to ensure adoption and analysis/reporting of results
Skills & Experience
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in Agronomy, Ag Business or related discipline
- 5+ years professional experience in food and agriculture, either with technology/inputs provider, retail or consulting
- 4+ years of agronomy retail support or field sales experience, including agronomic support management and direct agronomic experience
- Passion for agriculture and understanding of the ag inputs market
- Knowledge of digital tools and passion for using them to increase frequency of and quality of engagement with customers
- Comfort working with and selling to agriculture retailers and leading row crop growers
- Experience selling and supporting new product lines that create a new market, vs. established categories that are mostly stealing market share
- Strong working knowledge of Google Suite, Salesforce and/or other CRM systems
- Experience in customer support increasing customer satisfaction, adoption, and retention
- Comfort in working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment — Sound is a high-growth, VC-backed startup looking for folks who want to create the future of agriculture!
- Opportunity to work in an early-stage, disruptive startup with a talented, experienced, and growing team of dedicated individuals
- Competitive compensation package
- Performance bonus structure
- Comprehensive health care plans that include Medical, Dental and Vision coverage
- Flex Spending Account (Healthcare, Dependent Care & Commuter Benefit)
- 401k Plan
- Generous vacation policy
- Regular team events and engagement activities (we actually like hanging out with each other!)
Sound is based in Emeryville, CA with a number of employees working remotely. We have a mission driven culture and a fast-paced, collaborative work environment. We are looking for someone to join the team who will bring a passion for sustainability along with a deep expertise in the business of food and agriculture.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status.
Sound participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the United States. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, Sound is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before Sound takes any action, including terminating your employment.