Sound Agriculture is an innovator in bio-inspired chemistry and plant genetics. We leverage natural plant diversity to grow crops more sustainably and create differentiated, nutritious food. Sound is a Series C startup funded by leading investors in food and agriculture such as Leaps by Bayer, Northpond Ventures, S2G Ventures, Fall Line Capital, Cultivian Sandbox Ventures, Cavallo Ventures and Syngenta Group Ventures.
We are seeking a Research Associate to join our Molecular Foundry team working on the On Demand Breeding platform. The Foundry team is using Sound’s novel breeding approach to rapidly create crops with improved taste, nutrition, and sustainability profiles. This position will execute plant growth and molecular biology workflow as part of a dynamic team.
This role requires proclivity to operations, creativity and strategic thinking to balance tasks and overcome unpredictable procedural obstacles. We are looking for a candidate who is highly organized, takes initiative, is willing to learn and expand their skill sets, and is a problem solver. They should be collaborative and capable of independently executing their responsibilities with a high degree of integrity.
This role reports to the Research Scientist, Foundry Team and is based in our Emeryville, California headquarters.
- Manage the lab operations pertaining to on demand breeding experiments, outgrowth, and expression profile analysis.
- Maintain laboratory protocols and systems, including documentation.
- Collaborate with the Synthetic Biology and Data Science teams to facilitate the on demand breeding platform.
- Procure project reports to summarize data and generate conclusions.
- Present findings and facilitate discussion at team meetings.
- Develop and implement processes for improving protocol efficiency.
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in life sciences, chemistry, or similar.
- Experience with laboratory automation (Tecan, Beckman, Hamilton, etc.) to enable process scale-up preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated success with RTqPCR, DNA/RNA extraction, next generation sequencing
- Hands-on experience with primer design and DNA manipulation software (ex. Geneius, Benchling, Snapgene, etc.) .
- Familiarity with statistical analyses and working with large datasets.
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong communication and a high attention to detail.
- Passionate about plant and soil science and the future of food and agriculture.
This role demonstrates our core values by:
- Boldness: You lean on experience and make logical, results-based suggestions towards the direction of the on demand breeding platform. You challenge the limits of optimized operational procedures.
- Ownership: You take initiative by looking ahead and preparing for the next steps in the pipeline. You are resourceful and search out appropriate literature. You call the shots when appropriate and return data complete with a report that summarizes the findings. You document findings, maintain well curated notes, contribute to the current structure of organized information and file new documents in the appropriate places.
- Respect: You demonstrate passion for the projects and tasks that have been assigned, no matter how big or small. You are open to learning new software, protocols, and procedures. You exhibit due diligence in reading or researching a procedure prior to training to acquire maximum benefit from the experience.
- Creativity: You come up with creative solutions to solve biological problems and make processes more efficient.
- Opportunity to work in an early-stage, disruptive startup with a talented, experienced, and growing team of dedicated individuals
- Competitive compensation package
- Performance bonus structure
- Comprehensive health care plans that include Medical, Dental and Vision coverage
- Flex Spending Account (Healthcare, Dependent Care & Commuter Benefit)
- 401k Plan
- Generous vacation policy
- Regular team events and engagement activities (we actually like hanging out with each other!)
Sound is based in Emeryville, CA with a number of employees working remotely. We have a mission driven culture and a fast-paced, collaborative work environment. We are looking for someone to join the team who will bring a passion for sustainability along with a deep expertise in the business of food and agriculture.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status.
Sound participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the United States. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, Sound is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before Sound takes any action, including terminating your employment.