Established in 1744, Sotheby’s is the world’s premier destination for art and luxury. Synonymous with innovation, Sotheby’s promotes access, connoisseurship and preservation of fine art and rare objects through auctions, private sales and retail locations. Our trusted global marketplace is supported by a network of specialists spanning 40 countries and 50 categories, which include Contemporary Art, Modern and Impressionist Art, Old Masters, Chinese Works of Art, Jewelry, Watches, Wine and Spirits, and Interiors, among many others.
The Payment Associate plays a critical role on the Marketplace team working across all categories by managing clients through the post-sale process in accordance with company policy and best practice while delivering excellent client service. This role manages post-sale activities such as new order verification, reconciliation and posting of payments, proper checks/balances internally and for external clients, as well as working with other team to localize payment methods.
- Partner with the Concierge team to respond to client inquiries, resolve client issues and execute client transactions to ensure the highest level of client satisfaction aligned with SLAs.
- Work closely with cross-category departments and marketplace team to support offline sale transactions including, but not limited to wire and credit transfers via private sale workflow, creating buyer / seller outputs, client invoices, payment oversight & delivery for release.
- Help facilitate and process post sale transactions, including but not limited to invoicing, payments, post sales, seller property returns (RTCs) and transfers requiring processing/release of inventory, payment block creation / reconciliation, and other administrative paperwork such as non-shipping Procurement (e.g. shipping PO/Invoices).
- Assist with processing and posting sundries and comps while working closely with finance on post-sale amendments (e.g. line item resets, invoice edits, orders approved /rejected, etc.)
- Ensures proper checks/balances by approving property to be released from inventory, checking line items for payment, and updating orders which produce invoices and shipping quotes.
- Clearly communicates status updates internally and externally in a timely and accurate manner.
- Responsible for seller sales statements and payment advice creation / requests.
- Perform post-sale customer verification and client account checks including fraud, sanctions and documentation validation, dispute arbitration and response, and ensure accounts are in good standing.
- Work closely with the supply chain team to organize shipping quotes, deliveries, bill and release items from inventory.
- Ensures financial transactions comply with corporate governance.
- Facilitate temporary releases of purchases for 3rd party services.
- Participating in project work as requested.
IDEAL EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES
- Bachelor’s degree
- English & Chinese are required
- Minimum 2 years of payment handling/related experience is required
- Excellent client service skills, with demonstrated capability in active listening, empathy, service orientation and patience
- Calm demeanor, especially under pressure
- Good numeracy skills. Experience with basic bookkeeping is an advantage
- Well presented with a friendly, enthusiastic, and welcoming disposition
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Logical and practical thinking, with excellent resourcefulness and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skills and follow through
- Multilingual skills are a plus
- Highest standard of confidentiality, discretion, and work ethic
- Ability to work both independently and to partner with colleagues
- Prior experience with SAP is desirable
To view our Candidate Privacy Notice for the US, please click here.
To view our Candidate Privacy Notice for the UK, Hong Kong, France and Switzerland, please click here.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants for employment without regard to race (including, without limitation, traits historically associated with race, such as natural hair, hair texture, and protective and treated or untreated hairstyles), color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership/union status, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic predisposition, genetic information, reproductive health decision, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, alienage or citizenship status, domestic violence victim status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/province or local law. The Company complies with applicable state and local laws prohibiting discrimination in employment in every jurisdiction in which it operates.