Established in 1744, Sotheby’s is the world’s premier destination for art and luxury. Synonymous with innovation, Sotheby’s promotes access, connoisseurship and preservation of fine art and rare objects through auctions, private sales and retail locations. Our trusted global marketplace is supported by a network of specialists spanning 40 countries and 50 categories, which include Contemporary Art, Modern and Impressionist Art, Old Masters, Chinese Works of Art, Jewelry, Watches, Wine and Spirits, and Interiors, among many others.
We are in the process of revolutionizing a 278-year-old business. We’re looking for highly talented backend software engineers who would help reshape the future of Sotheby’s through exceptional engineering practices, software development, and design.
The ideal candidate will help us drive the technical vision and product development, innovate, optimize complex problems, and improve efficiency. We’re looking for team players who value opinions other than their own, look to data to support their decisions, take the initiative, and improve things. Ideal candidates are curious, eager to learn, and comfortable with ambiguity and a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
Our team is distributed across multiple countries and requires strong communicators who can work in a diverse, multicultural online environment.
- Help deliver on the product vision for reshaping a 300-year-old industry through building a compelling modern marketplace experience
- Help drive Sotheby's contribution to servicing the circular economy and drive adoption of marketplace experience to an entirely new target demographic
- Collaborate with designers, user researchers, and engineers to test and ship features continuously
- Building, optimizing, and maintaining internal and consumer-facing tools that enable Sotheby's sell consigned inventory
- Designing and building elegant abstractions, shareable libraries, and robust APIs
- Actively looking for ways to improve the end-to-end experience for specialists across Sotheby's internal-facing product portfolio
- Working closely with product managers, and stakeholders across the company.
IDEAL EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES
- 5+ years of industry engineering experience with proven track record
- Excellent communication skills! This entails active listening, taking constructive criticism, and providing feedback whenever necessary
- Intrinsically driven to innovate and to take initiative when seeing a process or a problem which could be improved upon
- Eager to learn new technologies, be collaborative and open to learning from others
- Must have experience distributed systems
- Must have experience with microservices architecture
- Must have expert knowledge and experience with Golang, Scala, NodeJS or comparable programming languages
- Must have experience using data structures and algorithms
- Must have expert knowledge of RDBMS such as Postgres or MySQL and writing migrations
- Working knowledge of GraphQL and GRPC is a big plus
- Working knowledge and experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Working knowledge of cloud platforms such as GCP or AWS
- Working knowledge of messaging queue systems
The proposed base salary for this position ranges from $138,000-$180,000. In addition to base salary successful candidates are eligible to receive a discretionary bonus, as well as a competitive benefits package. Salary offers are based on a wide range of factors including relevant skills, training, experience, education, and, where applicable, licensure or certifications obtained. Market and organizational factors are also considered.
To view our Candidate Privacy Notice for the US, please click here.
To view our Candidate Privacy Notice for the UK, Hong Kong, France and Switzerland, please click here.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants for employment without regard to race (including, without limitation, traits historically associated with race, such as natural hair, hair texture, and protective and treated or untreated hairstyles), color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership/union status, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic predisposition, genetic information, reproductive health decision, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, alienage or citizenship status, domestic violence victim status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/province or local law. The Company complies with applicable state and local laws prohibiting discrimination in employment in every jurisdiction in which it operates.