Established in 1744, Sotheby’s is the world’s premier destination for art and luxury. Synonymous with innovation, Sotheby’s promotes access, connoisseurship and preservation of fine art and rare objects through auctions, private sales and retail locations. Our trusted global marketplace is supported by a network of specialists spanning 40 countries and 50 categories, which include Contemporary Art, Modern and Impressionist Art, Old Masters, Chinese Works of Art, Jewelry, Watches, Wine and Spirits, and Interiors, among many others.
Sotheby’s is looking for Property Handlers to support a variety of Specialist departments, responsible for the handling of a large spectrum of artwork, furniture and other types of extraordinary objects.
- Work closely with Specialist Departments, Registrars, and Operations staff to move property throughout the building
- Receive, open, tag and scan property as directed
- Move property to and from loading docks, departmental storage exhibition locations
- Obtain all property location information from the Registrar
- Transport property to and from loading dock, department storage, and exhibition locations
- Prepare exhibition space including but not limited to placement of movable walls, pedestals, platforms and other display material
- Place property for display, including but not limited to onto shelves or platforms, hanging or mounting property onto walls, and assembling property
- Stand exhibition and assist clients in viewing property (remove from wall or case, move furniture, etc.)
- General exhibition lighting
- Maintain safe property handling
- Function as helper on the truck or van, if any
- Perform other tasks consistent with these responsibilities as required
- Maintain cleanliness and appropriate presentation of exhibition and back of house spaces and equipment
- Property handlers must be well groomed and in the proper uniform which must be worn and pressed at all times
- Display a positive attitude and adhere to Sotheby's Service Standards
IDEAL EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES
- Substantial lifting, pushing, pulling, carrying of property required.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 75 pounds.
- Overtime and weekend work required
- Prior fine art handling experience a plus
The hourly rate for this position is $24.50/hour. Employees in this role may be expected to work overtime, and will receive additional pay at the applicable overtime rate. Further, premiums, in the forms of an additional percentage of the hourly wage, are provided once employees achieve certain levels of seniority with the Company or become project leads.
To view our Candidate Privacy Notice for the US, please click here.
To view our Candidate Privacy Notice for the UK, Hong Kong, France and Switzerland, please click here.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants for employment without regard to race (including, without limitation, traits historically associated with race, such as natural hair, hair texture, and protective and treated or untreated hairstyles), color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership/union status, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic predisposition, genetic information, reproductive health decision, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, alienage or citizenship status, domestic violence victim status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/province or local law. The Company complies with applicable state and local laws prohibiting discrimination in employment in every jurisdiction in which it operates.