Sony Pictures Imageworks is located on the unceded traditional territory of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations. We are committed to respecting traditional lands, and working with communities towards reconciliation.
Sony Pictures Imageworks Canada Inc.
725 Granville Street, 5th Floor
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, V7K 1Y4
Project based, Full Time
Language in work environment - English
Benefits per company policy: include healthcare, tuition reimbursement, RRSP's, Sick and Vacation leave, standard increases as applicable
Manages the creation and animation of digital effects. Serves as technical lead for the FX team/department and manages the work of other FX artists. Oversees the integration of FX elements into the final shot. Establishes and enforces FX standards. Enforces directory structures, naming conventions and version controls. Identifies/spots FX required for assigned sequences. Accountable for on time, on budget execution and delivery, as well as quality, of required digital effects.
- SCOPE: Serves as the artistic, technical and production leader for FX team/department. Shares accountability with senior leadership for assigned production outcomes. Accountable for the deliverables of the FX team/department.
- CREATIVE / TECHNICAL DIRECTION: Translates art / technical direction for the production into art / technical direction for the sequence. Reviews and adjusts assigned art / technical content to meet creative direction. Manages research and development activities required to achieve the Director's vision.
- STRATEGY / PLANNING: Ensures FX team/department has sufficient technical, capital and human resources, as well as necessary artistic guidelines to meet goals. Participates in developing short to mid-term plans for the team/department including resource requirements, budgets, schedules and performance standards.
- NEGOTIATIONS / INTERACTIONS: Interacts with senior production leadership to understand and clarify creative direction and keep abreast of plans impacting FX team/department. Interacts with direct reports and peers to interpret information and improve cross-functional processes. Negotiates for resources that affect assigned outcomes. Builds and enhances important internal and external contacts.
- ASSIGNMENT OF WORK: Manages the work of leads and individual contributors. Ensures the ongoing training and development of direct reports. Selects, motivates and reviews performance of staff.
- OVERSIGHT RECEIVED: Reports to a designated CG sup with the coordination of the DFX Sup and/or VFX Sup overseeing the FX development for the show.
- EXPERIENCE: Typically has 10 or more years of experience with 5 or more years of management experience.
Please note that you must be able to provide a demo reel that illustrates your relevant artistic and technical experience that also includes the nuances for this specific role.
We value unique perspectives, and want diverse, unique talent to work with us. We encourage candidates from all identities to apply.
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.