AWAL is a unique alternative to the traditional record label. We partner with independent artists to tell stories that shape culture, offering artists & labels a range of services without having to give up ownership or control.
With local offices around the world, AWAL's services include global distribution and marketing, funding, A&R, playlist promotion, radio, PR, creative services, synch & brand partnerships, and access to real-time comprehensive music data and insights. AWAL’s roster ranges from new, breaking artists to global successes, including Little Simz, Tom Misch, deadmau5, Spacey Jane, BANKS, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Angie McMahon, Genesis Owusu, Jungle and more.
We’re here to amplify, celebrate, and champion art that inspires.
About the role
As our Manager, Artist Development and Commercial Partnerships, you will be involved with both local and international AWAL artists as we continue to build the AWAL business in Australia and New Zealand and deliver on our mission to partner with independent artists to tell stories that shape culture. The scope of the role covers two primary areas:
- Acting as the primary point of contact for locally-based AWAL artists, providing support and best practices across all aspects of campaign and release planning.
- Responsibility for creating, maintaining, and developing relationships with local label reps and editors at DSPs, and delivering the best possible visibility on DPSs for our global and local roster.
This role will report to the Senior Director, Marketing in Australia. The ideal candidate is results-driven and ambitious, with a passion for music and artists. They will also have the ability to build trusted, creative relationships with artists and partners, championing the AWAL brand in Australia.
About the team
This role forms part of the passionate and energetic team in the Australian company. This team works closely together to engage, motivate, and encourage the development of all staff while also ensuring the results, priorities and overall work of respective departments are in line with artist and company goals.
In this unique and highly specialist role, you will join a passionate group of like-minded and collaborative music fanatics.
What you'll do:
Artist Development (Local Artists)
- Prepare and implement marketing plans for local signings, and provide best practices input on creative rollouts, scheduling and social media management.
- Manage and support AWAL Australia local artists and managers with the on-boarding process onto the AWAL platform.
- Oversee the delivery and the rollout of all assets for designated artist campaigns.
- Support AWAL Australia clients daily with all operational queries, set-up and requests for their releases using analytics and third-party tools.
- Analyse performance of releases using the various best-in-class industry tools AWAL has for them to run their business.
- Collaborate with other AWAL teams such as GCP, Operations, Finance, Legal and Admin to ensure that our artists' business needs are met.
- Representing AWAL in meetings, at shows, and on calls with artist management.
- Responsible for creating, maintaining, and developing relationships with local label reps and editors at DSPs, and delivering the best possible visibility on DPSs for our global and local roster.
- Ensure release pitches are delivered in time and according to best practices and liaise with the AWAL DSP team to flag key releases to the global team with key info and assets.
- Compile weekly and release day streaming and playlist reports for clients and internal teams and create and send out weekly newsletters and updates on key campaigns to the Australian DSPs.
- Liaise with other AWAL teams such as Operations, GCP and Admin department to ensure that our artists' business needs are met.
What you'll bring:
- 3+ years’ experience with a record company, artist services company, or distributor.
- Sound knowledge of the local and global digital landscape including social media platforms, DSP ecosystem, digital marketing, and data analytics.
- Sound knowledge of the current Australian music market, including both traditional media and new platforms, and a firm understanding of artist development.
- Entrepreneurial, creative outlook with a strong team spirit
- Love of music and appreciation of all music genres.
- Strong organizational skills.
What we give you / Perks and Benefits:
Passionate about our people, we provide some great opportunities for our team members to embrace, some of these on offer:
- Great, fun and energetic office - fueled with collaboration, teamwork, passion and energy
- Flexible/Hybrid working (in-office & from home), with our offices always open to you balancing flexibility, and connection
- Company paid Private Health Insurance and Income protection/TPD cover through superannuation
- Fantastic employee resource groups Including our "Whatif' employee-led group and "Hugh" group
- Generous Sony discounts across the Sony Group of families
- Parental leave benefits, Inclusive and supportive to all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey, Including up to 18 weeks paid time off
- Additional benefits to support caring responsibilities thereafter, including emergency back-up child care options
- Virtual and In-office wellness benefits Including fitness and meditation classes
- Partnership with Unmind to support your mindfulness and wellbeing
- LinkedIn Learning membership for all team members
- Novated car leasing options
- Employee Assistance Program for all team members and family
- Continually investing and fostering your professional growth & development
As an active part of a culturally and socially diverse society, Sony Music’s aim is that our workforce is diverse and inclusive. Sony Music is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. . When you apply, please do tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
We employ, retain, promote and otherwise treat all employees and job applicants according to their merit, qualifications, competence and talent. We apply this policy without regard to any individual’s sex, race, religion, origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition or disability.