At Sony Music, we are passionate about helping our artists succeed in an industry that sees constant change and innovation. The Digital Strategy & Investments team is on the front lines, ensuring that we work with the most exciting digital music and technology startups. We strive to be ahead of the curve and shape how customers connect with artists and content they love.
As the Manager of Digital Strategy, & Investments, you will join a small group of strategic thinkers that focus on identifying, sourcing, negotiating, and implementing investments, joint ventures, partnerships, and new commercial opportunities. This is a rare opportunity to have direct influence on the development of the music industry, become a thought leader on how emerging business trends will impact our business model, and drive deals that benefit Sony’s entire artist roster.
The Manager position will work with the Digital Strategy & Investments team to develop the group’s digital commercial strategy and evaluate market opportunities, helping to set the overall strategic direction of the company and prioritization of digital initiatives. The role will form a critical part of the team and predominantly focus on analyzing trends and assessing opportunities in both the digital music and broader media and entertainment sectors, as well as communicating next steps and proposed approach to team leadership.
What you'll do:
- Play a role in evaluating Sony Music's strategic direction by conducting rigorous industry research and analysis, closely monitoring ongoing developments in the digital music market and broader investment landscape, and presenting relevant analyses and insights with actionable recommendations to senior management on a regular basis
- Coordinate with other teams and functions to gather, analyze, and synthesize findings on company data and market intelligence
- Research, brainstorm, and form strategic frameworks for evaluating potential market opportunities aligned with the group’s strategic priorities, including strategic investment cases for target companies
- Track market developments and review research reports to identify insights and develop theses on trends impacting the recorded music industry; translate this knowledge into ideas and innovative opportunities for the company around business initiatives, partnerships, investments, acquisitions, and operational improvements
- Contribute to digital investment and acquisition deal processes, including working cross-functionally with labels and business units across SME to conduct due diligence and support equity negotiations
- Prepare financial valuation models for a variety of companies in the digital media ecosystem, including assessing market size and growth, projecting company financials, benchmarking to comparables, scenario analysis, evaluating synergies, and determining rate of return
- Produce investment presentations and approval memos for senior management and executive board meetings
- Engage with SME’s global affiliates on global business opportunities, and assist or advise as needed
Who you are:
- Exceptional Excel skills and ability to analyze large data sets and create models for quantitative analyses
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills with proficiency in PowerPoint and flair for presenting analysis clearly and creatively
- Exceptional research and data analysis capabilities
- Ability to anticipate and identify industry trends and distill them into actionable ideas and investment opportunities
- 3-4 years of experience in a top-tier management consulting firm, investment bank, or comparable position in a digital media company preferred
- Passion for music and deep interest in the digital media and tech sectors
- Ability to provide accurate and timely results under tight schedules and while managing multiple priorities
- Proactive self-starter with agility to flex from high-level strategist and tactical thinker to practical implementation and day-to-day execution
- Entrepreneurial mindset, able to come up with creative inputs, suggestions, and solutions to a variety of business problems
- Adept at working with people at various levels/functions and enjoy both collaborative and self-directed projects
- 4-year undergraduate degree required
What we give you:
- You join an inclusive, collaborative and global community where you have the opportunity to fuel the creative journey
- A modern office environment designed to foster productivity, creativity, and teamwork
- Our Hybrid with Flexibility approach combines the flexibility of remote working with the benefits of in-person collaboration whenever we need to come together to do our best work. Managers will partner with their teams and employees to establish work arrangements that meet the business, team, and individual needs.
- An attractive and comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life & disability coverage, and 401K + employer matching
- Voluntary benefits like company-paid identity theft protection and resources for pets, mental health and meditation resources, industry-leading fertility coverage, fully paid leave for childbirth or bonding, fully paid leave for caregivers, programs for loved ones with developmental disabilities and neurodiversity, subsidized back-up child and elder care, and reimbursement for adoption, surrogacy, tuition and student loans
- We invest in your professional growth & development
- Time off for a winter recess
This position requires that the job candidate be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Please note that an applicant will be considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose vaccine series (Pfizer or Moderna), or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine (Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine). The Company will consider requests for reasonable accommodations for documented medical reasons and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law. Please do not include proof of vaccine status or any indication of a possible request for an accommodation when submitting your application materials. If applicable, the Company will follow up with you directly to request proof of vaccination and to discuss any potential accommodations.
Sony Music is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, marital and civil partnership/union status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.