As an Associate Director, Business and Legal Affairs, you are responsible for the drafting and negotiation of artist recording contracts, label partner agreements, merchandise contracts, consulting arrangements, marketing agreements, and related matters. The position will also provide legal counsel and business advice to other departments at the label.
What you'll do:
- Structure proposals and negotiate and draft a variety of music and entertainment-related agreements, including recording, label, licensing, producer/mixer, soundtrack, termination/release, and merchandising. Draft related approval memos and contract summaries.
- Research and advise A&R, marketing, creative services, sales, promotion, royalties, finance, international and other departments regarding contractual obligations and restrictions.
- Work with A&R administration regarding contractual budgets, monitoring recording costs and approving payments.
- Review artwork, label copy, videos, advertising and other marketing and promotional materials.
- Identify and analyze potential risks related to the label's distribution of content and other business activities.
- Investigate, analyze and respond to a variety of claims, including copyright, audit, breach of contract, publicity and trademark, and work with the corporate legal department to develop litigation strategies.
Who you are:
- Member of New York Bar in good standing.
- At least 4 years at a prominent record label, law firm, in house legal department or equivalent experience.
- Superior negotiating, drafting and communication skills.
- In-depth understanding of the areas of the law applicable to the music business, such as copyright, contract and trademark.
- Strong business knowledge preferred.
What we give you:
- You join an inclusive, collaborative and global community where you have the opportunity to fuel the creative journey
- A modern office environment designed to foster productivity, creativity, and teamwork
- An attractive and comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life & disability coverage, and 401K + employer matching
- Voluntary benefits like company-paid identity theft protection and resources for pets, mental health and meditation resources, industry-leading fertility coverage, fully paid leave for childbirth or bonding, fully paid leave for caregivers, programs for loved ones with developmental disabilities and neurodiversity, subsidized back-up child and elder care, and reimbursement for adoption, surrogacy, tuition and student loans
- We invest in your professional growth & development
- Time off for Winter Recess
Sony Music is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, marital and civil partnership/union status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.