About Sony Music Entertainment
Sony Music Entertainment is a global recorded music company with a roster of current artists that includes a broad array of both local artists and international superstars, as well as a vast catalog that comprises some of the most important recordings in history. Sony Music Entertainment is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America.
The Senior Accountant, Venture Accounting is responsible for performing accounting and analysis functions integral to financial statement reporting, management reporting and general accounting for various Distribution, P&D, Profit Participation, Co-financing/Co-production and Joint Venture deals between SME and various outside partners, including artists and producers.
- Review contracts, clarify issues, summarize key points and communicate to all affected departments, such as Accounting Services, Sales Services, Inventory Accounting, Inventory Management, Royalty Accounting, Label Finance, etc., so as to ensure compliance with the contract’s terms and accurate accounting.
- Review and analyze monthly results for assigned ventures, including interfacing with departments to understand unusual variances or transactions, reconciling subsystems to the general ledger, preparing journal entries, analyzing accounts, etc.
- Prepare financial statements, cash flow and income projections, statements of accounts, return on investment in the deal, etc. in accordance with each deal’s contract and issue to management and/or venture partner as appropriate.
- Liaise with Business Affairs, A&R Administration, outside partners, their attorneys, representatives and auditors to address issues, review statements, review status of deals, etc.
- Provide support for the audits of assigned venture financial statements with external auditors, including audits by venture partners’ auditors.
- Assist in the preparation of Budgets and Estimates for joint venture related items (e.g., JV talent expense, JV partner share expense).
- Ad hoc special projects and analyses for senior management.
- Bachelor or Master Degree in Accounting.
- CPA preferred.
- Working knowledge of GAAP, financial reporting, etc.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of public accounting experience.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Applications and working knowledge Enterprise accounting and management information systems.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize projects.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with all levels of management.
- Ability to work well in a collaborative, team oriented environment.
- Disciplined self-starter with can-do attitude; proactive, resourceful, collaborative team player; detail oriented and strong follow-through skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
Sony Music is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, marital and civil partnership/union status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.