PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Blendshape Artist
San Diego, CA
The Visual Arts Services Group (VASG) is a division of SIE's Product Development Services Group. VASG is a full-production studio located in San Diego that specializes in Animation, Motion Capture, Cinematics, Art and Scanning. We are currently looking for a Senior Blendshape Artist to come aboard and work in conjunction with our riggers, the Animation Supervisor and the Character Supervisor to bring highly-realistic faces to life for both cinematic and in-game sequences. The successful candidate will be working with AAA studios like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studio (God of War Franchise), Guerrilla and many more!
- The Blendshape Artist will be responsible for bringing highly-realistic faces to life for both cinematic and in-game sequences
- This person will make the final tweaks to the topology edge-flow and determine the final positioning and refinement to key assets such as eyes, teeth, tongue and eyelashes
- When the model face is finalized the artist will sculpt a full array of naturalistic FACs and corrective blendshapes for expressive photorealistic humans
- Sculpting a series of high-resolution wrinkle maps to add a final level of polish and nuance to the expressions
- Work closely with the external clients, internal artists and outsourcing partners to keep quality and style consistent across all characters
- Create and lead others in the creation of photo-realistic humans, with particular attention to advanced facial modeling and expression modeling
- Lead and mentor both internal character teams and outsourcing partners to reach aesthetic and technical goals
- Create documentation, communicate requirements, and provide feedback to internal artists and outsourcing partners
- Constantly and proactively seek to improve the production processes, tools and pipelines for character creation, rigging and animation and rendering
- At least 5 years of professional character art experience in high-end 3D games and/or films with at least 1 published title or movie
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- Solid grasp of realistic human anatomy with special emphasis on the head/face
- Strong understanding of Maya and basic understanding/use of blend shapes
- Experience with facial rigging of any kind as well as sculpting in Zbrush, Mudbox, etc.
- Comfortable making facial expressions in the mirror and ideally capable of isolating difference expressions/actions in the face
- Must have extreme attention to detail and an eye for minute differences/movements in the face
- The ability to grasp technical concepts at least from a broad perspective and follow technical workflows while pushing artistic limit
- Self-manage and keep track of progress and troubleshoot technical issues with Maya
- Brainstorm ideas that keep in mind the overall goals of the project
- Experience with facial blend shape workflows on realistic humans
- Expert understanding of human anatomy
- Versed in Facial Action Coding System
- Experience with Blendshape Combination System plug-in
- Experience with Perforce
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.