Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
Sr. DevOps Engineer
Los Angeles, CA
If you have a passion for the latest cloud strategies and you thrive in fun yet challenging environments with complex distributed systems, you can be a part of PlayStation's success!
The role of Sr. Cloud Development Operations Engineer is based in The PlayStation Network Los Angeles office in the Culver City area. It is a blend of automation, development, and application administration and is a hands-on technical position in a fast-paced atmosphere. The ideal candidate has prior experience managing cloud based n-tier web applications and strives to solve traditional operations problems through automation and software. More so, the candidate must possess a high standard of excellence, have a strong customer focus, and is capable of technical deep-dives into code, database, load balancer, network, operating systems, and storage.
You will be part of a dynamic team responsible for delivering backend support to the many different tools the business uses to create entertainment experiences for next generation gaming & entertainment consoles. You will lead a dynamic team that is responsible for deploying PlayStation Network core business services. These services are responsible for the backend operations for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and future flagship Sony devices and services. This position offers the opportunity to directly impact millions of customer’s experiences around the world.
You will also be working closely with our San Francisco, San Diego and Tokyo cloud ops teams. The primary customers of this team will be our LA based engineering teams so you will be able to partner closely with them to ensure success. You will also work across boundaries with The PlayStation Network leadership, architecture, security and engineering groups to gain alignment and execute key strategic initiatives.
- Minimum of 6+ years experience in AWS host provisioning and management OR AWS enterprise-network infrastructure integration
- Thorough understanding of and hands on experience with Infrastructure Engineering technologies (firewalls, load balancers, storage, monitoring, security etc.)
- Ability to identify and articulate key trade-offs when making cloud and infrastructure decisions
- Experience collaborating with corporate Network and Security infrastructure organizations
- Hands on experience with hybrid on-premise/cloud enterprise environments
- Thorough understanding of IaaS, PaaS, Container Orchestration, Infrastructure as Code, Containers vs Machine Images
- 5+ years of Linux systems administration experience, preferably with Red Hat/CentOS 6 and above
- 5+ years experience in a high-availability data center environment
- 5+ years experience providing infrastructure to support SDLC
- Solid understanding of Internet infrastructure protocols such as TCP/IP, HTTP, DNS, SSH, LDAP, and SMTP, along with the software serving them (such as Apache, nginx, Varnish, Bind, PowerDNS, OpenSSH)
- Demonstrated scripting skills in one or more of Shell, Python, Perl, and Ruby
- Strong understanding of DevOps
- Able to participate in 24/7 on-call rotation for tools you and your team build
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years related experience
Experience in any of the following is also desirable:
- Agile Software Development organizations
- Configuration management tools like Ansible, Puppet, Chef, or SaltStack (or at least a strong appreciation of the need for them and willingness to learn)
- Relational database(e.g., MySQL, PostgreSQL), noSQL (e.g., Cassandra, MongoDB), and related caching software (e.g., memcache, Redis)
- Git/GitHub version control tools
- Continuous Integration tools like: Jenkins, Maven, Nexus/Artifactory
- Continuous Delivery tools like: Go CD, Bamboo, ElectricFlow, Chef Delivery
- Involvement in the Open Source community (code writing, patch submission, bug reporting, etc.)
- Experience with alert and trend monitoring software, like the following: Net-SNMP, Nagios, Cacti, and Graphite
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.