Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
As a Systems Engineer and member of the Commerce Operations Team you will closely support engineering teams in the integration, deployment, and monitoring of applications and services at the core of the PlayStation Network handling millions of users and devices on a daily basis. The Commerce Operations team handles application deployments, application performance monitoring, capacity management, and support for services which enable customers to purchase, access and enjoy a wide range of digital entertainment content seamlessly and across various devices and user interfaces. The Sr. Systems Engineer will support the team and drive improvements in process and technology to improve continuous delivery, application availability, system resiliency and performance monitoring.
- Work with Developers in resolving issues related to application configuration/deployment/debugging.
- Proactive monitoring of production systems and identify issues before system impact.
- Hands-on application management and support for both development and production environments, including fault resolution and root cause analysis for critical issues.
- Develop monitoring tools/metrics/reports for tracking application/service performance.
- Work with engineering and system teams to recommend changes and ensure optimal application performance and robustness.
- Participate in software and system performance analysis, service capacity planning, and service continuity validation.
- Analyze, design, and develop automated scripts/tools to automate operational tasks/activities.
- Review and influence design, architecture, standards, and methods for deploying and operating services and applications.
- Actively participate and/or commit in the execution of tasks required to meet the milestones and deliverables set by the SCRUM team throughout the release cycle.
- Provide rotational on-call support.
A minimum of 3 years supporting large scale multi-tiered web environments running complex C++ and/or Java-based applications is required. Candidate must possess the following:
- BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical discipline.
- 3 years hands-on Linux experience (RHEL or CentOS preferred).
- Proficient in using the typical Linux toolbox of open source software and management tools.
- 3 years relevant work experience in a high-volume and/or critical production environment.
- Proficient scripting skills (shell, perl, python)
- Experience in deploying, managing, and monitoring Enterprise-level application servers (C++/Java)
- Experience with application deployment and distribution tools (Puppet, Chef, Docker).
- Solid understanding of networking systems and protocols – TCP/IP, SSL, DNS, HTTP.
- Experience with infrastructure monitoring tools (Nagios, Cacti, CheckMK, etc.)
- Experience with log management tools, e.g. Splunk, Logstash, Kibana.
- Experience in quality control and validating services in a production environment.
Why PlayStation Network
PlayStation Network is growing by leaps and bounds and we need talented developers to help us keep up with our passionate global customer base. This is an opportunity to work with a fun team of people on interesting projects where you have an opportunity to influence the development direction.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive salary
- 401K with company match; education assistance, generous paid leave, and more
- On site gym and cafe
- Release celebrations & happy hours
- Break rooms with networked PS4s; Monthly voucher for game/video/music usage
- Inter-office hackathon competitions
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.