Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
Principal Software Engineer – Performance
Location: San Francisco, CA (SoMa)
The Principal Software Engineer will architect, design, and develop core platform components using web technology for the PlayStation® and other applications/devices with a focus on improving performance. S/he will provide strong technical leadership in platform software development across a globally distributed team.
- Apply your vast experience building high-performance applications in resource-constrained environments to minimize startup time and maximize framerate for multiple Ember.js and React Native applications on mobile and PlayStation console.
- Have a massive area effect on a large team of Ember.js and React Native developers by defining and demonstrating best practices for building high-performance applications, creating performance-tuning tools, and speaking frequently at internal forums to level up the entire team.
- Work across the stack with server engineers to set latency and response targets for RESTful APIs.
- Work with other architect and application engineers to design / implement high performance software components.
- Produce excellent, thorough design and development documentation.
- Work with limited supervision under tight time constraints and respond to rapidly evolving requirements.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science plus 8 years of experience or equivalent. Master's degree preferred.
- Object oriented design and design patterns come naturally to you, like breathing
- Expert in profiling application performance and applying best practices and methods to improve performance of single page web and React Native mobile applications (e.g. caching data, making API call in parallel and asynchronous, pre-fetching data, etc.)
- Passionate about quality and writing clean, readable code that scales and performs well
- Strong understanding of general software engineering best practices – requirement gathering and analysis, design and develop secure and scalable code with unit tests, partake in code reviews and documentation
- Passionate about writing automated end-to-end tests
- Extensive experience developing on open source technology stacks
- Experience with Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery
- Experience in building high-performance and memory-efficient client applications and frameworks.
- Experience with iOS and/or Android app development
- Experience with Agile/Scrum software development methodologies
- Strong understanding of engineering best practices – requirement gathering and analysis, design and develop secure and scalable code with unit tests, partake in code reviews and documentation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.