Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
Sony Santa Monica is seeking a Technical Art Director to join the team behind the critically acclaimed God of War games. We value talent, self-motivation, and team spirit. In turn, we provide an environment with a large degree of freedom and autonomy.
The melding of the artistic and the technical, that’s what drives you. In a sense, you have one foot in both worlds, but are facing the future: what tech do we need to make the best art possible? What tools do we need? What kind of people? These are the questions you ask yourself in setting team-wide artistic goals and driving toward them.
And you’re talented, really talented, and motivated, with tons of initiative. You get things done – and we leave you alone to do them. Is this a good fit for you? If so, give us a shout.
- Be a key contributor to the long-term vision for technical art and graphics in the studio.
- Ensure the content generation pipeline is well architected and allows the Art team to meet visual quality and performance goals.
- Drive state of the art visuals that complement the game design and help deliver an exceptional product on Playstation platforms.
- Work closely with the Programming, Technical Art, and Art teams to define, review, test and integrate new tools and processes to enable the art team to create stunning art.
- Develop and communicate technical art standards, best practices, and techniques.
- Collaborate with senior leadership to ensure alignment of tech art plans and project design requirements.
- Stay current with trends in computer graphics and relevant conference proceedings (e.g. SIGGRAPH, Eurographics, i3D, GDC).
- Mentor, guide, and lead less experienced tech artists.
- Advise on project-based purchases of development tools.
- Actively partner with studio leadership in recruiting and career development efforts.
- Minimum ten years of professional experience in computer-generated art, including proficiency in several of the following areas: physically based rendering, lighting, shading, material authoring, environment or character authoring, FX, performance analysis, graphics content optimization.
- Intimate knowledge of a 3D authoring tool like Maya or 3DS Max and expertise in MEL/Python/HLSL.
- Strong technical artist with a portfolio that demonstrates a keen eye for artistic direction.
- Solid understanding of 3D math and related concepts.
- Exceptional leadership and team management skills.
- Strong personal interest in video games and knowledge of industry trends and innovations.
- Commitment to quality, documentation, and sound testing procedures.
- Minimum of four console titles shipped, from concept to final.
- Enthusiasm and initiative.
- Excellent spoken and written communication.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Graphic Art or a related field or equivalent experience.
- Working knowledge of programming languages like C++ or C# is desirable.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.