Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
This position is for a temporary engagement through our staffing partner Yoh.
Come join the award-winning God of War development team! Sony Santa Monica Studio is looking for an Encounter Designer to support the Combat and Level Design teams. In this role, you will assist, collaborate with, and take direction from the Combat and Level Design teams, as well as Design Director and Game Director, to place, tune and maintain combat scenarios and encounters throughout the game.
- Work with existing AI cast, level mechanics, and environmental components to create scenarios that map to the desired pacing and difficulty for each combat encounter in the game.
- Collaborate with level and environment teams to address performance issues, bugs, and adhere to metrics and best practices.
- Liaise closely with the combat team responsible for design, creation and maintenance of AI cast members.
- Gather, respond to and implement feedback from both playtests and director reviews.
- Learn and become effective with both the combat design and level design tools and workflow.
- 4 years in game development, with at least 2 years in Combat, Systems or Encounter Design role.
- Experience using a text-based scripting language to set up character logic.
- Experience working within Maya.
- Must be able to grasp and work with code-based proprietary tools to implement and troubleshoot issues.
- Must have knowledge of competitive products and various gameplay genres, as well as a personal understanding of video game fun.
- Ability to think logically with a strong level of attention to detail.
- Must be able to professionally communicate and work with other members of the game production team.
- Basic knowledge of scripting languages and code (e.g., XML, C++, PERL) is preferred but not required.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.