Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
San Diego Studio is looking for a Data Engineer who will be responsible for providing our Development and Production teams with insights and analysis of gameplay and user spend data. This position will primarily focus on implementing data hooks and telemetry in-game, ensuring necessary data is being recorded, validating and maintaining a large data pipeline, assisting in the of mining large quantities of data, and building new data infrastructure as needed.
If you are an experienced data developer with a passion for games, particularly one who is experienced in the delivery of real-time telemetry data from a large triple-A product, this is the career for you.
- Define and iterate on development of analytics infrastructure for pre-production and post-production titles.
- Implement telemetry and analytics hooks into games in various stages of production.
- QA telemetry implementation to ensure data from gameplay is posting correctly along with reporting and fixing bugs.
- Develop new telemetry in collaboration with BI analysts.
- Maintain and test data integrity to ensure deliverables are accurate and timely.
- Develop highly efficient systems relating to the retrieval, maintenance, and analysis of our game and customer data.
- Develop and deploy reporting and visualization for cross title performance analysis.
- Perform data normalization and management to ensure data security and efficiency.
- Collaborate with other studios and data providers.
- Perform ETL tasks and maintenance, develop new databases and schema where necessary.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in a programming or engineering role. Particular emphasis will be placed on a role whose responsibilities are heavily data focused.
- Experience working with the management, construction, and maintenance of data pipelines and services using solutions like AWS, Kafka, Redshift, Oracle, Hadoop, etc.
- Deep experience in developing queries and reporting based upon user requirements.
- Experience in revising, normalizing, and improving complex queries in a relational database environment.
- Experience validating data emission from a live product.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced game development environment.
- Thorough understanding of data modeling and relational databases.
- Excellent background in programming in C#, C++, or other object-oriented language.
- Experience with database tools and direct SQL access.
- Experience with off the shelf data solutions such as Tableau, Spotfire or other similar platforms.
- Experience and enthusiasm to work with large, raw data sets.
- High degree of initiative and ability to learn.
- Professional and interpersonal communication skills (email, phone, face to face) to interface with other work groups and stakeholders.
- Ability to turn difficult and complex problems into elegant and efficient solutions.
- A strong understanding of BI systems and online gaming features; practical experience as a gamer, developer in the gaming industry is a strong plus.
- Strong understanding of code repositories and version control highly desired.
- A passion for online gaming, video gaming and desire to shape game design through data.
- A Bachelor's degree in software engineering or computer science from an accredited institution.
- Master’s degree or advanced certifications in data science, data management, data engineering, etc.
- Have gaming industry work experience
- Familiarity with monetization and game business models a plus
- Agile software development experience
- Data engineering experience specifically in the games industry
- Strong mathematical and modeling skills
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.