Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
Technical Project Manager
San Mateo, CA
The Strategic Business Development department is tasked with finding and implementing new business, product, software and service opportunities that contribute to new revenue generation and the company’s growth. The Project Manager will manage projects from initial conception and planning through to execution and operational phases. These projects will vary in scope and subject matter, ranging from small apps through to mid-scale products and services. The applicant must have strong core project skills and experience, and familiarity with both agile and waterfall methodologies.
The ideal candidate is detail oriented with excellent project management skills to assure products with high-quality standards are delivered on time and on budget. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and understanding of different cultures are also required as this position will work with a diverse group of people from different countries with different skill sets/backgrounds. Most of all, the candidate loves video games and is passionate about delivering great products that will enhance our users’ PlayStation experience.
Manage projects from concept to deployment. Detailed project management duties will include:
- Work with cross-functional and cross-company teams to define, launch, and drive strategic business initiatives through entire project lifecycle.
- Execute initiatives by developing final project proposals and recommendations, and creating project plans.
- Working with various cross functional teams (R&D, Design, Marketing, Sales, Operations, Safety and Compliance, Legal, Game Studios) within SCE to define, launch, and drive strategic business initiatives through entire project lifecycle.
- Create, manage, and track project schedules, including tracking dependencies, deadlines, and other information that may impact delivery and/or quality of project.
- Revise and adjust project plans as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
- Communicate project objectives, status, expectations to project team and management.
- Managing outside vendors to develop and deliver products on time within budget.
- Organize workflow, assign duties, projects activities and tasks as required by the SBD Project schedule
- Work closely with business (Business Development, Marketing, Legal, Third Party Relations, etc.) and engineering (internal and/or external) teams to define, gather and prioritize requirements, and deliver project successfully.
- Prepare presentations, project documentation and reports.
- Motivates cross-functional and cross-organizational project team to work together in the most efficient and effective manner.
- Identify areas for improvement in internal processes within the department and cross-organizationally along with possible solutions.
- Strong project management skills to manage fast-paced, new software and hardware development.
- Business analysis or financial modeling skills to run analysis of potential new opportunity areas.
- Understanding of the product/software development principles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Must be able to communicate with a wide variety of audiences ranging in skill set (highly technical to non-technical) and experience (individual contributors to executive management), cross-organizationally and with external partners.
- Must be able to create and deliver presentations as well project plans, reports, and other project documents.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Must be able to work collaboratively in a team environment and build strong working relationships with both internal and external partners.
- Excellent problem solving and analysis skills combined with impeccable business judgment.
- Must be resourceful and seek solutions through research, information gathering, stakeholder discussions, and exercise sound business judgment.
- Understanding of and open-mindedness toward cultural differences in both U.S. and Japanese working environments.
- Experience in the video game industry is not required, but interest and solid understanding in gaming, digital entertainment, consumer electronics, and technology is necessary.
- Interest and passion for new and emerging technologies and the potential application for gaming and digital entertainment.
- Possess high standard on business ethics in working with external vendors.
- Degree from a four-year college (i.e. BA, BS) in fields relating to business management, product development, engineering, communication, media or product design, or production.
- At least 2-4 years of directly relevant experience in project management, product management, user or design research, game producing, new product development or operations management in consumer electronics, digital entertainment or video game and accessory industry.
- PMP Certified
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.