PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
***This position has the flexibility to be fully remote***
Sony Bend Studio, renowned creator of Days Gone, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and Syphon Filter, is seeking outstanding talent to join our passionate and creative family in crafting our next high-profile AAA console title.
We are seeking a Shader Artist who will contribute to the artistic vision and development of a AAA product with a specialized focus on creating photo real physically-based shaders utilizing a combination of traditional fine art and technical art skills.
- Conceptualize and create a plan for building texture sets based on written design descriptions and concept art. Responsible for combining disparate parts and pieces into a visually unified whole, including organic and inorganic terrain, props, architecture and vista elements.
- Contribute to the development of the artistic techniques and processes utilized to define and achieve a product’s visual style and encourage artistic evolution within the studio. This entails expanding methods to improve the production pipelines, tools, processes, and visual integrity.
- Independently undertakes research and information gathering prior to the commencement of a new task to ensure game design needs, reference materials, artistic direction, and technological considerations are effectively managed to meet the defined goals.
- Actively advances skill set, abilities and then shares this knowledge by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages and traditional art methods.
- Possess strong time management and prioritization skills. This entails collaborating with the production group to manage responsibilities to ensure set goals will be met from a scope, schedule, and artistic perspective.
- Push the envelope of what is possible within real time technical limitations.
- Participation in creating shaders and shading validation tools as well as defining artistic and technical shading standards.
- Research and develop innovative approaches to technical and creative challenges.
- Highly proficient in the use of Photoshop to manipulate photo source and create realistic, tillable, textures that match the artistic style of the defined art direction. This requires mastery of 2D art skills like composition, drawing, painting, and color theory. The ability to analyze photo source or concept art and turn them into real-time render able assets.
- Proficient in the use of 3D modeling software to texture models within the defined specs and guidelines. This requires extensive knowledge of UV tools and methods.
- Proficient in the use of Z-Brush or Mud box to create normal maps, heights maps and displacement maps when necessary to achieve the desired visual depth.
- Experience with physically based shader texture sets and pipelines.
- Preferred Experience with Unreal 3 or Unreal 4
- Strong reading and comprehension skills to have a complete understanding of complex process documents, design documents, and written assignments. The ability to communicate complex processes effectively either individually with team members, or within group settings. The ability to write short reports and process documents when needed in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong time management skills, with the ability to break down tasks and assignments and prioritize them into workable pieces on a daily, weekly, and project length basis. Works independently and conscientiously with minimal supervision. Able to manage long-term projects, creating and following a comprehensive schedule for the creation of complex assets for game levels, and other game related assets. Able to complete tasks and assignments quickly with limited need for revision rework.
- Strong data management skills, with the ability to manage and track large amounts of data as they go through the art pipeline with attention to naming conventions, directory structures, and other processes.
- Able to train, tutor, and mentor multiple artists, help assess their needs for growth and learning, able to document, report, and help review their work when needed.
- Portfolio with examples of current hands-on work, including shaders, textures, and texture mapped assets and fully rendered scenes.
- 1+ years of experience as a Shader/Materials Artist in the video game industry
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.