PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Lead Character Artist
San Diego, CA | Remote
This position can be fully remote from anywhere in the USA and Canada.
PlayStation Studios Visual Arts (PSSVA) is seeking a talented, passionate and creative Lead Character Artist looking to create photo-realistic characters while breathing life and personality in our next chapter of cinematic story telling.
If you have developed and managed a team of artists responsible for delivering the highest quality in character artwork, we want to hear from you!
- You will collaborate with the Art Manager, Character Supervisors, and Production department to deliver work estimates for character creations across all projects.
- Work with external clients to understand project scope and requirements as well as provide feedback and advice.
- Work with the technical teams to improve the production processes, tools and pipelines.
- Document, communicate requirements, and provide feedback to internal artists and outsourcing partners.
- 7+ years’ experience as a professional character artist in AAA games.
- 1+ year as a Lead or Supervisor for AAA games.
- At least 1 shipped AAA title as a Senior, Lead or Supervisor.
- Experience working with a game engine and implementing 3D work into engine (preferably Unreal)
- Bachelor of art degree or equivalent proven experience and training
- Portfolio of realistic, highly detailed, 3D character models, with highly realistic textures (skin, hair, worn fabric/accessories, etc.), accurate anatomy, detailed clothing, etc.
- Mastery of standard art packages such as Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush and Substance Designer.
- Good communication, organizational, time management and interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership, mentoring and teaching abilities.
- Experience with Marvelous Design, Mari, Agisoft, Substance, Mudbox.
- Experience with photogrammetry scanning and tools.
- Python scripting experience considered a plus
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.