PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Environment Artist (Contract)
San Diego, CA | remote
This is a long-term contracted position through our staffing partner DZConneX with a high likelihood of extension.
This position can be fully remote from anywhere in the USA or Canada.
Are you an Environment Artist looking to join a team to help create stunning environments and stories? Then this opportunity is for you!
This position is to work within Sony PlayStation Studios Visual Arts (PSSVA) an award-winning, full-production studio that specializes in Animation, Motion Capture, Cinematics, Art and Scanning. This is the same world-class team known for its contributions to beloved franchises like Uncharted, Death Stranding, God of War and more. For more than a decade, we have shared knowledge, support and cutting-edge techniques with the very best developers in the industry: Naughty Dog, Kojima Productions, Guerrilla Games, Santa Monica Studios, Sucker Punch Productions, Bend Studio, Japan Studio, Insomniac Games and more.
- Work with the PSVA and Cinematics Group to create both in-game and pre-rendered quality environments within a range of styles for AAA console titles.
- Content creation, including environment texture painting, modeling/sculpting, material setup/UV layout according to defined quality standards.
- Reviewing and providing feedback on outsourced environment and prop assets.
- Resolving an assortment of moderately complex artistic development issues for both artists as well as other team members.
- Communicating updates and properly escalate concerns to the appropriate team members and manager(s).
- Maintaining project and process specific documentation for the team.
- At least 2-4 years industry experience preferred.
- Highly proficient in the use of Maya and Photoshop.
- Moderate to high proficiency in the use of Z-Brush & Substance Painter/Designer.
- Good communication, organizational, time management and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to follow existing guidelines, policies, procedures or project parameters.
- Experience working with external outsource vendors (OS).
- Mari, Marvelous Designer, Vegetation creation tools experience a plus.
- Python scripting experience considered a plus.
- Knowledge of physically based rendering (PBR, PBM, PBL)
- Experience with Unreal 4 preferred
- Concept art experience considered a plus.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.