PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Data Engineering and Analytics Manager
This is a great opportunity to join the Platform Engineering Enablement group at PlayStation. We are looking for an experienced Technical Engineering Manager to lead and develop the LA Partners Data Engineering team and shape the team’s future.
We provide global data warehousing and analytics solutions for the PlayStation Partners Platform - a vital collection of applications and services used by our content creators worldwide to develop and publish games and content on PlayStation.
Our mission is to deliver timely, scalable and high quality data and insights to empower our business to make data-driven decisions, drive operational efficiencies and identify revenue opportunities.
You will lead the strategic direction as well as motivating, guiding and developing the team supporting these efforts. In this role you will be working closely with a UK sister team and the Partner Analytics team in San Diego, as well as developing partnerships with other data engineering teams in the company.
The ideal candidate will
- have a track record of team leadership and developing enterprise-level data pipe, data warehousing solutions and data models that support business intelligence and analytics solutions.
- be highly self-motivated, able to work with limited supervision and be willing to work with multiple teams, local and remote.
If this is you, please apply!
This role will be based in our LA (Westchester) office with occasional travel to other US and global offices in the UK and Japan.
- Lead, coach, empower and inspire a data engineering team, composed of data engineers and analytics engineers, collaborating closely with a global peer group.
- Guide the development of team members, providing performance evaluations, development plans and constructive career development feedback to create and maintain a highly motivated team
- Provide technical leadership to the team, guiding architecture, design and implementation, ensuring solutions are implemented to high standards
- Own, maintain and ensure high engineering, SDLC and security standards and practices in the team
- Own team outcomes, ensuring delivered solutions are stable, resilient and have appropriate monitoring and operational support
- Participate in product roadmap development and identify key areas for innovation and improvement in our solutions and incorporate these into ongoing & future development initiatives
- Lead the research and assessment of new products and technologies, leading and assessing PoCs for fitness, managing and planning their introduction.
- Build and manage relationships with our key vendors, ensuring high levels of support, service levels and collaboration
- 7 to 10+ years of experience in ETL, enterprise data warehousing and business intelligence application delivery
- 3 to 5+ years experience managing, leading and building data engineering/analytics teams
- Experience delivering Business Intelligence solutions (e.g. DOMO, Tableau, Qlik, PowerBI)
- Extensive experience with AWS cloud hosting and cloud data managed services, including building highly scalable data pipelines (batch and streaming) using AirFlow, Spark, EMR, Hive, Presto or other open source frameworks/architectures.
- Extensive experience with data warehousing systems for large enterprises, preferably with near real time transactional data, using sophisticated data warehousing design and modelling techniques.
- Deep knowledge with at least one of the following database technologies and familiarity with the others: relational, columnar and NoSQL (i.e. Snowflake, Redshift, Netezza, MySQL, Oracle, MSSQL, Vertica, MongoDB, DynamoDB, etc.)
- Experience with a wide variety of business data domains (Engineering, Marketing, Sales, Finance, Operations, etc.).
- Deep understanding of software engineering processes, system development life cycles and Agile methodology.
- Demonstrable experience in partnering with business teams to effectively deliver their goals and outcomes.
- Must be self-motivated, responsive, professional and dedicated to customer success.
- Outstanding organizational, presentation, and communication skills – both verbal and written.
- Eligibility to work in the US and occasional travel to UK and Japan required.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Airflow, Python highly advantageous
- Snowflake experience highly advantageous
- DOMO experience highly advantageous
- Exposure to Data Science, Data Modeling and analytics methodologies and patterns..
- Experience with statistical methodologies.
- Product Owner experience.
- Gamer or experience in the gaming industry a plus.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.