PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
As a member of the operations SRE team within the platform technology group, you will carry the responsibility of keeping key user experiences on the platform available, resilient, and impactful, while continually enabling our service teams to deliver new and exciting products and technical features. Our team strives to iteratively learn, improve and automate our processes every single day, which continually sets the standard for operational excellence within our organization. You will be empowered to drive and lead technical initiatives, helping identify and proactively drive improvements in both process and technology supporting millions of users.
- Application operations and production support of internal and public-facing services within an AWS cloud environment, ensuring availability, resiliency, scalability, and performance.
- Provision, automate and ensure the production readiness of all new services and features introduced.
- Identify areas for operational process improvement and automation. Drive the hands-on development of scripts and tools to automate these processes within our environment.
- Increase observability on our platform by implementing robust monitoring and alerting patterns across our services. Develop rich, informative dashboards/reports on our services that provide valuable insight and meaningful alerting to drive down the MTTD and MTTR on platform incidents.
- Collaborate and partner with other SRE teams that specialize in areas such as data services, CICD, and platform hosting to inspire changes and ensure optimal end-to-end system performance and resiliency across all back-end services within PlayStation.
- Iteratively drive performance and capacity validation analysis for our services. Apply AWS patterns and technologies such as spot instances, dynamic auto-scaling and EKS to optimize resource usage and AWS spend.
- Conduct, document and present root cause analysis documents to share incident insights and findings with our broader engineering organization.
- Provide rotational on-call support where you’ll respond, detect, triage and resolve production incidents.
- Equally adept at software development and systems engineering/operations
- Build, deploy, operate and support services at scale
- PASSIONATE(!) desire to automate and improve everything including process improvements, standardizing tools and technologies
- Excellent troubleshooting skills that span user experience, system, infrastructure, and network (TCP/IP). Ability to zoom in from user error to JVM garbage collection problem to packet loss on the network.
- Drive operational and infrastructural requirements that promote availability, reliability, performance, and security at all phases of SDLC on a global scale
- Customer and peer relationship focused with strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Fluency with running distributed services at scale
- In-depth understanding of Unix/Linux systems internals and networking
- Source code (GitHub) and configuration management tools (Ansible, Chef, etc.)
- Software development experience in one or more of the following: Python, Go or Java
- Building and deploying Infrastructure as Code: CloudFormation/Terraform
- Building continuous integration and continuous delivery (CICD) pipelines in Jenkins, Spinnaker, or similar
- Operating and running Java services/APIs in AWS cloud infrastructure
- AWS systems and network protocols (ie: ALB, R53, API-Gateway, TCP/IP, HTTP/HTTPS, DNS)
- Configuring, tuning and automating AWS services including Lambda, RDS, DynamoDB and Elasticache.
- Container technologies and orchestration (ie: Docker, Kubernetes, EKS, Fargate)
- Application monitoring tools: DataDog, CloudWatch, Splunk, Grafana
- Data Reporting & Analytics: SQL, MySQL, Oracle, or Big Data
- Operating and supporting large scale and/or critical customer-facing production services or applications
- BS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related technical area
- 7+ years professional experience
- 2+ years AWS Cloud - deploying, tuning and operating Java/API services.
- 3+ years operating and supporting services in production environment at scale
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.