PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Director, Corporate Development
San Mateo, CA
Sony Interactive Entertainment (PlayStation) seeks a highly qualified candidate for the position of Director, Corporate Development. SIE’s Corporate Development Team works closely with SIE’s management team and is responsible for identifying inorganic growth opportunities through acquisitions, investments or joint ventures. The team sources, evaluates and completes transactions that are aligned with SIE’s strategic priorities and drive significant long-term value for the company.
The foundational work of the team involves developing market insights through strong internal and external relationships to identify attractive M&A and investment opportunities. Opportunities are assessed based on detailed investment criteria and evaluation by internal partners. Members of the team will develop the case (including commonalities) and drive internal alignment on strategic fit and the post-deal plan. The team works collaboratively across all functions and services at SIE.
This is a high profile and exciting role with significant executive exposure. The Director is expected to bring significant expertise of the video gaming space, as well as strategic problem-solving and deal/investment experience. The position offers unique opportunities at the convergence of the global media and technology industries, and a chance to influence the evolution of this fast paced sector. This position will be located in San Mateo, California.
- Work with Corporate Strategy, senior executives, and other internal partners to continuously refine the major strategic themes that guide SIE’s M&A strategy
- Be a thought-leader within the organization, particularly with respect to the strategic themes and the external landscape of competitors and potential targets
- Drive proactive deal sourcing, including developing relationships with external and internal partners
- Own a tight and meticulous target evaluation process with clear decision criteria and in-depth analysis
- Own the development of recommendations to senior executives and guide the alignment process for proposed M&A projects
- Shepherd the deal execution process, including due diligence, valuation and approvals
- Build and maintain relationships with business unit leaders within SIE and across the other Sony teams to facilitate discovery of opportunities and alignment on projects
- Stay apprised of key business metrics and broader industry developments
- Help build and manage a dedicated and motivated Corporate Development team
Key selection criteria (qualifications):
SIE is seeking seasoned candidates that ideally possess the following qualifications:
- 12-15+ years of corporate development, corporate strategy, investment banking, strategic consulting, investing or strategy experience, with significant exposure to the video gaming space
- Experience sourcing and evaluating inorganic growth opportunities, including identifying key strategic themes, maintaining relationships with key partners and driving the target evaluation process
- Demonstrated track record of leading all parts of the end-to-end M&A process for both large and small transactions, including acquisitions, joint ventures and investments
- Strategic, quantitative and financial modeling skills, including the ability to structure the rationale for M&A recommendations and to support it with data and financial models
- Data savvy with the ability to drill down and identify key drivers and communicate insightful, concrete recommendations
- Excellent social skills and proven track record of developing relationships with senior executives and key external partners
- Strong project management skills and demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally in a matrixed organization
- Strong team-player with a reputation for great people management and development
- Ability to work with multiple cultures and to tailor work style and messaging to function effectively across globally distributed management teams
- BA required, MBA from a top institution preferred
- International work experience is required
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.