PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Lead Lighting Artist
We are located in San Diego, CA but this position can be fully remote from anywhere in the USA & Canada
PlayStation’s Visual Arts Group on our San Diego campus provides world-class content, development, and services to Worldwide Studios. Our team is always at the cutting edge of technology and partners with the industry’s best minds and companies
We are looking for a hardworking, and creative Lead Lighting Artist for our next chapter of cinematic storytelling. Become a part of the Visual Arts Group, and work with a multi-award-winning team responsible for the cinematic performances in outstanding Sony PlayStation franchises like Uncharted, The Last of Us, Killzone, and other iconic series.
- You will collaborate with Environment Artists, Designers, and the Art Director to develop and execute plans for lighting game environments (exteriors and interiors), conversations and cut scenes.
- Place static, skylights, and dynamic lights within the game environment.
- Collaborate in the development of experimental lighting systems and solutions
- Help tune materials to fit within PBR guidelines.
- Set up and manipulate post-process systems including color grading, exposure, tone-mapping, and atmospherics in the scene including volumetric lights, fog, DoF, and Bloom.
- 10+ years’ industry experience with 5+ shipped titles.
- Experience building lighting pipelines from inception to shipping.
- Experience with lighting and baking in Unreal Engine 4, including managing day/night cycles.
- Ability to be resourceful and come up with creative, attractive, and performant lighting solutions.
- A solid understanding of lighting of characters and scenes for cinematics.
- Strong organizational skills to help keep track of complex and vast lighting solutions.
- Experience with Unreal 5.
- Strong technical abilities; knowledge of PBR systems.
- Python scripting, C++
- A web portfolio that demonstrates a range of lighting examples from previous credited titles.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.