PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Sr. Data Engineer
The Partners Data Engineering team (LA) provides data pipe, warehousing and analytics solutions for the PlayStation Partners Platform - a vital collection of applications and services used by our partners (content creators, game developers and publishers) worldwide to create and publish games and content on PlayStation.
Our mission is to deliver timely, scalable and high quality data and insights to empower our business to make data-driven decisions, drive operational efficiencies and identify revenue opportunities.
As Senior Data Engineer you will provide technical leadership to other team members, leading the design and implementation of end-to-end data solutions that are highly available, maintainable, secure and cost-effective.
We are looking for
- A Data Engineer, with technical leadership experience and a strong background in AWS to build scalable, highly available data pipes and data warehousing solutions
- An energetic professional who is passionate about solving complex problems with data who is willing to teach and learn alike
The ideal candidate will be highly self-motivated and willing to work with multiple teams, local and remote. If this is you, please apply!
- Provide technical leadership - create and socialize designs, lead design sessions, perform technical reviews, lead engineering initiatives; Mentor other team members to level-up the skills and quality of the team
- Build highly scalable, resilient data pipelines
- Design and build data models which produce high quality datasets.
- Own, maintain and ensure high quality engineering standards and practices in the team
- Continually improve our SDLC tooling and processes, defining and leading initiatives for automation, simplification and minimal/controlled downtime.
- Collaborate with product and engineering teams on multiple projects leading the design and build of data solutions
- Diagnose and solve platform and data issues - perform root cause analysis and apply solutions to prevent re-occurrence
- Gain a deep understanding of our data, how it applies to the broader organization and use this to level-up our solutions
- Deliver analysis that distills clear, meaningful insights from large, complex datasets.
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience in a data engineering capacity with technical leadership experience
- Experience translating business needs to scalable data solutions.
- Experience building highly scalable data pipelines (batch and streaming) using AirFlow, Spark, EMR, Hive, Presto or other open source frameworks/architectures.
- Experience designing and developing solutions on AWS, including infrastructure as Code (e.g. Cloud Formation, EKS)
- Experience with Cloud Data Warehousing / Data Lake technologies and architectures such as Snowflake, Redshift, Lake Formation
- Proven data modelling skills - must have demonstrable experience designing models for data warehousing and analytics use-cases (e.g. from operational data store to semantic models)
- Experience of how to organize data and optimize data storage in relational databases and flat file formats (e.g. on S3/Parquet)
- Python and shell scripting experience for automation and data manipulation.
- Expert SQL skills.
- Strong understanding of software engineering principles - able to write elegant, scalable and maintainable code.
- Strong communication skills - you will be able to tailor your communication to technical and less technical audiences alike
- Experience with Airflow highly advantageous
- Experience with Snowflake highly advantageous
- Experience using dashboarding tools such as Tableau, Superset, Domo or similar.
- Experience preparing large, complex datasets for Machine Learning pipelines.
- Prior experience working in an Agile environment.
- Gamer or experience in the gaming industry a plus.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.