PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Data Science Manager
San Mateo or San Diego, CA
The Data Strategy & Operations (DSO) team has grown rapidly over recent years in response to a growing need for the business to use data to inform and shape key decisions, and to identify new opportunities. Currently there are over 100 staff within the global DSO team, made up of high quality Business Intelligence and data professionals covering BI architecture and platform support, data processing, insight reporting, predictive analytics, scrum masters and product management.
Due to team expansion DSO are looking to recruit hardworking, highly driven individuals who have excelled in previous roles and are looking for a new challenge in a dynamic and rewarding environment.
Data Scientists in the DSO team apply advanced analytical methods and tools to drive value from the data through techniques such as customer segmentation, predictive modelling, forecasting and other algorithms. Our work delivers an in depth understanding of consumer behaviors and supports multi-channel targeting and personalization.
As a Data Science Manager in our team, you will lead the delivery of a range of data science methods and develop a deep understanding of what makes our business tick. You will supervise the work of data scientists on the team and have line management responsibility to develop and mentor typically between two and five data scientists. You will contribute to the growth and development of the wider team, not only your direct reports.
What you’ll be doing:
You will work in our San Mateo or Rancho Bernardo (San Diego) offices in a globally distributed agile team, supporting partners throughout the global in areas such as marketing, operations, CRM, product planning and development, R&D and retail.
Have the interest and aptitude to quickly develop a deep understanding of what makes our customers tick through understanding the data. And you will have the inter-personal and technical skills to work across the business to bring that insight to application.
Be involved in a wide range of analytical project activities: from requirements gathering through data modelling and processing; carrying out segmentation or building predictive models; performing deep insight; presenting findings to partners and building reusable data products through close collaboration with the relevant data engineering teams.
You could have a background in data sciences, consulting, computer science, customer insight or elsewhere, but you will be passionate about turning large volumes of data into meaningful insight and have the blend of commercial and technical skills required to do so.
You will partner with Product Managers in DSO to gather requirements from partners, prepare and present findings to other technical and non-technical teams. You will help drive data literacy across a range of internal teams.
You will work with an outstanding team of data scientists to deliver analytical work, understand customer behaviors and drive innovation in the use of data throughout PlayStation.
Primarily based in San Mateo or San Diego, but a global role supporting colleagues in offices in the US, Europe and Japan. Some global travel may be required, usually to Sony offices in London or Tokyo.
Skills required (essential):
- Exceptional analytical, quantitative, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills
- Strong data management and coding skills. You must be able to write production quality code in both SQL and Python, including common data science libraries such as scikit-learn
- A strong academic, numerate background that includes the fundamentals of data science. You will probably have a Masters’ degree or PhD in a relevant technical or mathematical field
- Experience applying data science techniques in a commercial environment, including supervised and unsupervised machine learning, time-series forecasting and other statistical analyses
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; including the ability to present detailed analyses to a broad audience range
- Ability to work collaboratively with other business units in order to achieve common objectives
- Experience in line management, supervising work, developing and growing the skills of your direct reports
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain effective working relationships
Skills required (desirable)
- Experience working with data science tooling on major cloud computing platforms
- Experience of visual analytical tools such as Tableau
- Experience of relevant industries (e.g. gaming, digital commerce, subscription services)
- Interest in gaming
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.