PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Operations ETL Engineer
San Mateo, CA
We have a superb opportunity for an Operations ETL Engineer to join our Data Strategy and Operations team in San Mateo, CA! This role will undertake ETL Operational duties as well as pick up support around alerting, carrying out changes through scripting or use of Ansible on the AWS Cloud Infrastructure.
The ETL Engineer is required to work within the DevOps team with the successful applicant responsible for the operations and support of the Business Intelligence platform. They will be required to fit into a highly skilled team and work with limited supervision, under their own initiative.
The role is based in our San Mateo office, reporting to our Technical Engineering Manager, and offers significant options for working remotely! This team provides business intelligence services for various global business units associated with Sony Interactive Entertainment.
Key Duties and Tasks:
- Provide 1st/2nd line support for the Production data processing platform, including response to and resolution of any failures
- Undertake production releases into the platform
- Ability to identify and automate manual tasks where you can make time or cost savings
- Conduct code peer reviews with particular emphasis on operational aspects
- Configuration management of code, covering versioning, deployments and building of tags
- Investigation, management and prioritization of any incidents or queries raised
- Perform impact analysis, identifying ways to make operational improvements and make code changes to improve resilience or efficiency
- Liaison with data providers
- Communication with end users and explanation of technical terms and concepts
- Work with Scrum Masters, Developers and Product Owners to ensure any failures are communicated in a concise manner
- Acting as the first line advisory and support for end users on ‘How-to’ questions
- 2+ years experience in UNIX, including shell scripting, admin and utilities
- Skilled in scripting (Python, Bash)
- Skilled in Linux and comfortable in using command line
- Understand ETL concepts with 2-3 years demonstrable experience with an ETL tool (Ab-Initio preferred)
- Demonstrable experience working on and supporting large-scale complex data processing platforms
- Experience in working with SQL
- Undertaking Production environment releases
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving ability
- Interpersonal skills including presentation, negotiating, conflict resolution, etc
- Strong communication skills. It is vital that the successful candidate can explain complex technical issues in non-technical terms to business partners
- Communicating effectively to business partners with incident resolution details
- Proven abilities to work creatively and analytical in a problem-solving environment
- Experience in a similar role, with proven expertise gained in complicated, business critical projects
- Strong can-do attitude with an appetite for learning and developing further
- English: Fluent
- Understanding of other data processing technologies and knowledge of data warehouse appliances, e.g. Snowflake
- Experience using AWS Cloud technology
- Knowledge of business intelligence reporting suites
- Appreciation of emerging and newer technologies
- 1-2 years proven experience in using Airflow
- Other programming languages
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.