PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
We are searching for a Principal Visual Effects Artist!
This individual will be responsible for blending significant industry experience, technical and artistic versatility to a variety of production tasks. Paramount to the role, a Principal artist is a primary driver of the development of new technology and workflows that push the studio and industry forward with exceptional visual effects technology and craftsmanship, allowing the team to create visually stunning work. The Principal Artist must possess the agility required to move quickly between technical and artistic challenges. In addition, the artist must use their experience to provide feedback, mentoring, and recommendations throughout the course of product development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Creates visual effects pipelines, tools, and workflows that push the boundaries of real-time effect technology, that benefit the worldwide studios group.
- Works with Core team to identify the need for, implement, and test cutting edge new technologies for visual effects.
- Document new technologies, pipelines and workflows created for use by artists.
- Serves as a mentor for the art team, assisting in training while sharing techniques and workflow.
- Creates workflows and pipelines that enable the creation of pivotal content for new or existing properties.
- Provides detailed and relevant feedback across a variety of creative materials.
- Utilizes industry experience to provide clear recommendations on team structure, company policy, and artistic direction.
- Displays an expertise across a variety of technical visual effects tools and workflows including Houdini, Maya, Embergen, real-time engines, and similar technologies.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Provide feedback, mentoring, and recommendations to art teams.
Education and/or Experience: At least 10 years of professional experience or training, or an equivalent amount of education and experience. Experience must include a focus on and expertise in creation of real time effects workflows.
- Expert understanding of Maya and visual effects packages, competent working with joints and locators, keyframing, rigid body simulations.
- Advanced understanding of complex node-based shader networks such as those used in Unreal Editor 3.
- Understands HLSL and python.
- Proficient in Photoshop for painting and editing textures.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of other visual effects software a plus.
- Must have the highest level of demonstrated ability with visual effects animation, color theory, anatomy, composition, design, perspective, lighting, and painting.
- Displays an ability to lead by example amidst artistic and technical challenges.
- Ability to create work seamlessly throughout a diverse selection of styles and sensibilities.
- Displays a proven track record of dependability, consistency, and high-quality work.
- Ability to meet deadlines under tight schedules.
- Willingness to receive direction and work closely with a team.
If this sounds like a good fit for your next career opportunity, please submit your resume and portfolio below. We look forward to reviewing your submissions!
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.