PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Insomniac Games’ Character TDs are responsible for creating character setups, including the rigging of various heroes, enemies, weapons, vehicles and props, and support Animators and other developers with scripts and tools. This talented person will contribute to the design, implementation and maintenance of the animation and rigging pipeline. Also, our Character TD’s develop scripts in support of the art pipeline. Read on for more details, as we are looking for a creative Character TD:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Creates high quality animation rigs, systems, setups, and workflows
- Sets up technical animation/simulation setups for things such as hair and cloth for real-time in-engine or for animation within Maya.
- Writes and maintains scripts using Python and PyMel. General scripting duties include developing systems and workflows for animating and rigging characters, expediting the character setup and animation process, and writing scripts to aid the art team when required
- Possesses a comprehensive understanding of animation techniques for the purpose of proactive problem solving and trouble shooting
- Creates Maya tools and improves the art pipeline between the game engine and Maya
- Contributes to the design and improvement of the character set-up process
- Acts as an intermediary between the animation and technical teams to elucidate the workflows, needs, and terminologies of each team
- Understands (and assists when needed) the entire process of creating cinematics including set construction, camera setup, character blocking, character animation, motion capture, cloth simulation, animation troubleshooting, and ensuring that scenes run properly on the real-time game engine
- Creates simple Entity animations for the purpose of testing new and existing systems, and animates cameras and simple Entities for gameplay and cinematics as necessary
- Edits and improves existing character animation systems, including facial setups and animation transfer tools
- Solid understanding of UI design using PyQT and Python
- Other duties may be assigned
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university; or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- One to four years of experience in character setup, MEL, Python, and PyMel scripting and a comprehensive understanding of all technical aspects of Maya animation.
- One to two years of animation training covering all basic animation principals.
- Strong knowledge of Maya and a working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Strong working knowledge of MEL, Python, and PyMel scripting as it applies to character setup and animation.
- Basic knowledge of DOS.
Other Skills: The ability to articulate thoughts and ideas effectively both verbally and in writing. This position may be required to help evaluate new technical tools, and make suggestions in either the implementation or practical uses of said tools.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for- please use the link below to apply. Please also include your updated reel – thanks!
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.